Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun/Truck Gun

Only a year to decide? That's quick for you!

Quote Originally Posted by WetWool View Post
    Only a year to decide? That's quick for you!
    I know. Not used to these snap decisions.
    I've already told you more than I know.

I mounted the scope this morning. Had to go with high rings to get the bolt past the power ring on the scope and need to move the front ring further forward. I guess my general impression thus far is that the rig will do what I want if it is accurate. Even with high rings, it mounts well and the sight picture is acquired fast. The scope is very clear and focuses easily except at 9 power. Eye relief is on par with any Leupold I own and clarity is far better. I really like the #4 reticle.

I went with a Weaver one piece base and Grand Slam rings.

The rifle is Ok although I ran another 4 magazines through it today without any sort of misfeed. The stock is flimsy but overall it is what it is. I may epoxy some aluminum rods in the fore end to stiffen but will shoot it first. I have never been a big fan of detachable magazines and this one is awkward to me. From purely an adjustment standpoint, the accutrigger is a breeze.

As it sits in this picture I have $430 into the entire outfit. Probably could have done a little better on the rings and base but....ultimately, this rig checked the most boxes for me. All it needs now is the fuzzy dice, duct tape, and a flashlight.

Savage Axis II 308 Winchester- Walmart $240
    Burris Fullfield E1 German #4 reticle with illuminated dot- Natchez $139
    Weaver base and rings Ben's Trading Post $50

Savage2.jpg

Savage.jpg
    Last edited by JDK; 02-16-2019 at 12:26 PM.

430 is a great price for the whole setup. I bet you could shoot deer for many years with it. The problem is there is always the next one. lol

Good luck with it , let us know how it shoots!

That's quite a wall of snow, I can't see the top of it!
    Last edited by longbow; 02-16-2019 at 01:06 PM.

It will never be mistaken for a pretty rifle and that is OK. Heck even ugly girls need lovin.

If it shoots even moderately accurately, it will be my carrying around the house, crappy day rifle. If not, the scope and rings come off and it heads down the road.

Only other thing I may play around with is installing a tactical bolt and painting the stock.

Already thinking about selling my 7600 carbine and getting a Ruger American Predator or a Remington 700 in 223. Something I can really play around with and modify. But I can't afford the divorce right now.

Dicks Sporting Goods near me has a CVA Hunter single shot .243 with a scope on clearance for $125. Short little barrel, nothing fancy at all, but that meets the definition of a cheap knock around gun.
    My people call me "Stands on Logging Roads."

That’s a great looking rifle. The SS looks more like a weathershield coating and dull which I like compared to some that are shiny.

Quote Originally Posted by Escout711 View Post
    Dicks Sporting Goods near me has a CVA Hunter single shot .243 with a scope on clearance for $125. Short little barrel, nothing fancy at all, but that meets the definition of a cheap knock around gun.
    That is a good price.

I looked for a long time for an affordable single shot in 223. A local shop has 2 handi rifles right now, a 22 hornet and a 223. $495 and $450 respectively. No way. The shops up here absolutely bend you over on firearms, both new and used and when you find something on line, they ding you a minimum of $50 for a transfer fee. That is if they do it. Then they wonder why.

My brother walked into a shop on the north shore and walked out with a 22 hornet for less than $200.
    Last edited by JDK; 02-16-2019 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingman Cruncher View Post
    That’s a great looking rifle. The SS looks more like a weathershield coating and dull which I like compared to some that are shiny.
    It is more of a matt finish.

It is what it is, an inexpensive rifle. I hope it shoots almost as well as Matt's 6.5.
    Last edited by JDK; 02-16-2019 at 05:58 PM.

I'm looking at a Ruger Hawkeye Compact 308. About $750. Thoughts? Reviews?

https://ruger.com/products/HawkeyeCompact/models.html