Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Fun/Truck Gun

My all time favorite is my model 700 mountain rifle. It is compact and lightweight but they are getting really expensive for the older wood stock version. For a gun just to keep in the truck a savage 340 in 30-30 is a good cheap choice. Any of the older savages in model 10 or 110 are good shooters and cheap.

Whatever you decide on look at the DNZ scope mount.

Quote Originally Posted by Wandling View Post
    My all time favorite is my model 700 mountain rifle. It is compact and lightweight but they are getting really expensive for the older wood stock version. For a gun just to keep in the truck a savage 340 in 30-30 is a good cheap choice. Any of the older savages in model 10 or 110 are good shooters and cheap.

I had one, in a nice walnut in 30-06. Killed my first 8 pointer with it, and a nicebull moose. Wish I still had it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingman Cruncher View Post
    I had one, in a nice walnut in 30-06. Killed my first 8 pointer with it, and a nicebull moose. Wish I still had it.
    Unless you really hate the gun, you will regret everyone you sell at some point....

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Unless you really hate the gun, you will regret everyone you sell at some point....
    I have only sold one, but lost an entire collection in a house fire in 2007. Not so much regret, more disappointment. I had a rifle my best man gave me, and the mountain rifle had a great story originating in the rem custom shop, my first rifle, my first shotgun given to me by the VP of Remington at the time, etc.

as JDK said, knowing what you know now and to start over, I got that chance. My plan was to streamline, buy perfect tools for the job, no sentimental value, just experience. My fault, I didn’t have enough experience. I bought just a few rifles, thinking I had it figured out. Nope, I’m still searching!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingman Cruncher View Post
    I have only sold one, but lost an entire collection in a house fire in 2007. Not so much regret, more disappointment. I had a rifle my best man gave me, and the mountain rifle had a great story originating in the rem custom shop, my first rifle, my first shotgun given to me by the VP of Remington at the time, etc.

as JDK said, knowing what you know now and to start over, I got that chance. My plan was to streamline, buy perfect tools for the job, no sentimental value, just experience. My fault, I didn’t have enough experience. I bought just a few rifles, thinking I had it figured out. Nope, I’m still searching!
    That's a shame you lost the guns.

Perfect tools for the job are great. And searching for them is enjoyable also!

I find it fun also to use imperfect tools for the job and succeed despite their flaws.

If you had no money and only had a bolt action Krag with iron sights, you would probably do just a well as if you had 20 high tech guns.

And when people saw you they would think...

"There goes old, poor Jeb. Been killing deer for 60 years with that old Krag with iron sights, one hell of a hunter".