Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Going on a moose hunt this year

Quote Originally Posted by kneedragger View Post
    unfortunately no !

I live 35 miles north of montreal.

I do spend a lot of time each year fishing on the Gouin, I also hunted moose in zone 13 for many many years.

Me and a few of my hunting buddies also like snowmobiling. We try to keep an eye on the snow cover / ice thickness / game populations. Makes winter a lot more fun.
    I have a question for you Kneedragger. Can I go thru customs, drive into Quebec, rent a camp or motel room and hunt deer, without a guide?

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    I have a question for you Kneedragger. Can I go thru customs, drive into Quebec, rent a camp or motel room and hunt deer, without a guide?
    Yes, no problems. Public land hunting is free but it can get crowded. If you want to hunt on private land, just ask the owners first.

You only get one tag per year, and non residents cannot buy antlerless deer tags. Tag will cost you around US $200

As long as you fill out the proper paperwork at the customs for your hunting guns, I don't see a problem. Finding a nice quiet spot on public land during rifle season might take a while however. Any idea where you would want to hunt ?

Bow/crossbow/muzzleloader hunting seasons are much less popular and might be a good alternative.

Also remember to leave all your handguns & black rifles (ar-15 etc...) at home, canadian laws are very strict with military style rifles, same thing with pistols and revolvers. You do not want to be arrested with what they call "restricted" firearms up here.
    Last edited by kneedragger; 03-23-2018 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kneedragger View Post
    Yes, no problems. Public land hunting is free but it can get crowded. If you want to hunt on private land, just ask the owners first.

You only get one tag per year, and non residents cannot buy antlerless deer tags. Tag will cost you around US $200

As long as you fill out the proper paperwork at the customs for your hunting guns, I don't see a problem. Finding a nice quiet spot on public land during rifle season might take a while however. Any idea where you would want to hunt ?

Bow/crossbow/muzzleloader hunting seasons are much less popular and might be a good alternative.

Also remember to leave all your handguns & black rifles (ar-15 etc...) at home, canadian laws are very strict with military style rifles, same thing with pistols and revolvers. You do not want to be arrested with what they call "restricted" firearms up here.
    Well, my quickest drive up there is straight north up 81 to the Canadian border, and then thru Ottawa. So maybe north of there over towards Montreal. Looks like a lot of remote country in there, but I don't know if it is open for hunting.

LongBow - I will pick you up on Rt 80 - or we could head up 91 too right? Have you thought about the Adirondacks? Not trying to hijack a thread on a moose hunt this is just sparking my interest in another hunt. A moose hunt is on my list as is caribou and Elk.