Thread: Total Archery Challenge

Default Total Archery Challenge

Anyone done this shoot before in PA? A buddy and myself signed up this weekend. Going to do a 2 day shoot. Going to shoot the Prime course on Friday, and the Sitka course on Saturday.

http://totalarcherychallenge.com/events/7-springs-pa/

Never did that one, but it looks really cool!
    Might have to check it out

Well my buddy and I came home yesterday from our 4 day trip to Seven Springs Resort in Champion PA for the Total Archery Challenge. It was a great trip, the course was relatively challenging but I feel we were well prepared. We left Thursday around 11:30 am, and after the 10.5 hour drive we pulled into our hotel right around 10:30pm. Off to bed and up early for our first shoot Friday Morning. The event offered several different courses with different challenge levels. They also had a kids course. The kids course was 5-20 yards, locals course was 20-45yards, Mtn Ops course was 40-75 yards, Prime course was 40-100 yards, and the Sitka course was 60-100 yards. We chose to shoot the Prime course Friday morning, and the Sitka course Saturday morning. We arrived at 9am Friday morning to get good and warmed up and start visiting the vendors. Both of us were battling a bit of a stomach bug so the mornings were not smooth for either of us either day but we pushed through it. We hit the practice range and off to the ski lift to take us to the top of the mountain.

Adults Practice Range

Kids Practice Range
    upload a gif

Lift to the Top
    image ru

First shot on the Prime was a fallow deer at 62 yards, second was a bison at 96, and third was a moose at 104. That's when we determined these courses were serious! But we were ready! Although both of us missed one of our first shots of the day. My buddy missed his first one on Friday day (nerves), and I missed my first one Saturday (bad sick all night the night before). Once we got our first couple targets under our belts we buckled down and handled the course. We both made a few great shots, and we both didn't capitalize on a few we thought we should have. We both finished off the Prime course, and felt pretty confident. I don't think either of us felt we shot as good as we could have, but was satisfied, and gained confidence for the harder Sitka course in the morning.

Saturday's story starts Friday night. After our shoot we went back to the hotel, neither of us not feeling great. Took showers, rested for a few minutes, and headed out for a bite to eat. We both tried to get our meals down and a beer and it just wasn't happening so back to the hotel for a long un-restful night. I was up most of the night praying to the porcelain, so the alarm at 7am wasn't the most inviting sound. But splash some cold water on the face, little internal pep talk, and out the door. Showed up at the resort an hour before our course start time. Two quick warm-up shots (one of which I missed at 94 yards ugh) and off we went for the lift. First target 60ish yards at a whitetail partially hidden by a boulder and I shot right under the belly. Huge confidence killer right off the bat. Next target was a 55 yard bedded ram. I hit foam on that one, and the next two targets were a fallow at 62, and a bedded whitetail at 44. I hit a 10, and a 10x on those two so I was back in the game. All in all we both shot this course very well. Again left a few point on targets we should have capitalized on, but also pulled off a few great shots. One of those targets was one of the craziest bow shots I've ever seen. My range finder said with incorporating the angle the sheep was 118 yards, with the target half covered by a tree, but I'm guessing horizontal distance was closer to 130-140 yards, and the target was probably 60' vertically below us. Dropped my pin to 100 yards, and aimed about 8' over the top and sent it. Missed an 8 by about 3". My buddy also sent and he hit about 12" low, but both of us were very happy to take a 5 on that target.

118 yard sheep shot

Sheep Result
    [IMG][/IMG]

We finished up the Sitka course very happy with the way we shot, couple high fives, few beers at the after party, and off to bed for the 10.5 hour drive home in the morning. We kept track of the yardages on all the targets we shot on both courses. Prime course was a total 1675 yards for a 25 target average of 67 yards/target. Sitka was a total of 1525 yards for an average of 61yards/target. Will definitely shoot another TAC course again, hoping they come a little closer to home at some point, but if not we both felt it was worth the drive.

Here's a few more pics. I'm waiting on a few more from my buddy and I'll post them up when I get them.

75 yard whitetail
    post a picture

77 yard Ram

Target Carnage 84 yards (our two are in the target if you look close )

100 yard stag

65 yard bedded mulie

Prime Finish

Sitka Finish

Awesome pics!!! Would love to do a TAC one of these days.

Practice Shots

96 yard buffalo

104 yard moose

Quote Originally Posted by shawn_in_MA View Post
    Awesome pics!!! Would love to do a TAC one of these days.
    I'd highly recommend it. Great shoot for sure. I'd love to do one out west some day. Maybe schedule a family vaca to Yellowstone some year when they're doing the shoot in Big Sky. I heard the one at Snowbird UT is great too