Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading 303 Savage

Default Reloading 303 Savage

I?m going to start reloading 303 savage soon, my primary goal is to make a good deer hunting round. I?ve got 200 pcs of new Jameson brass and probably 80-100 pcs of old mixed brass. I?m going to shoot 170 grain round nose Remington core lokts (30-30 bullets), unless anyone knows of a round nose 180 or 190 grain thats made for a 30-30? I?m new to reloading and all the different powders have left me undecided there. I?ve read 4895, 3031, 4320, 4064, and w748 among others, work well in a 30-30 but I have no clue if one is better than the other. It sounds like any of them will work, and it?s more about personal preference and what shoots best in a certain gun? I know I need large rifle primers, but is there any difference in primer brands beyond that? I?ll be shooting them in a savage 99 with a 22? barrel and one with a 26? barrel, open sights, 100 yds max. I?m not looking for perfect target accuracy or trying to make a really hot load. I would like to up the velocity a hair over factory, but don?t want to get carried away with these 100+ year old guns.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLostBeaver View Post
    I?m going to start reloading 303 savage soon, my primary goal is to make a good deer hunting round. I?ve got 200 pcs of new Jameson brass and probably 80-100 pcs of old mixed brass. I?m going to shoot 170 grain round nose Remington core lokts (30-30 bullets), unless anyone knows of a round nose 180 or 190 grain thats made for a 30-30? I?m new to reloading and all the different powders have left me undecided there. I?ve read 4895, 3031, 4320, 4064, and w748 among others, work well in a 30-30 but I have no clue if one is better than the other. It sounds like any of them will work, and it?s more about personal preference and what shoots best in a certain gun? I know I need large rifle primers, but is there any difference in primer brands beyond that? I?ll be shooting them in a savage 99 with a 22? barrel and one with a 26? barrel, open sights, 100 yds max. I?m not looking for perfect target accuracy or trying to make a really hot load. I would like to up the velocity a hair over factory, but don?t want to get carried away with these 100+ year old guns.
    I know nothing about reloading, but would love to see some pics of the guns.

Based on all you have wrote, you are now down in the weeds of reloading. Ask 100 people those questions and you get 100 different answers. Every rifle shoots different (and different powders work better than others depending on the rifle, bullet, and shooter) and the only way you’ll know you gained a 100FPS is if you chronograph your reloads in your rifle.

When I was loading for max velocity I watched for case pressure signs though never exceeded max loads from my speer manual. After marginal hunting experience with max loads I’ve since backed down to middle of the road loads and have had better hunting experiences. Velocity is not everything when hunting, especially the Northeast.

The 170 grain 30-30 bullet is the only round nose nosler partition bullet I know of. Hornady does make 180 grain round nose cup -core bullet.

Speer hot cor has a 180 round nose (no idea on availability). Sierra has a 180 round nose as well. Both are .308 diameter.
    Last edited by outdoorsman; 02-04-2018 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Auto correct got me again
    Leave my rifle, my fishing pole, my traps, and leave me be.

Check your p.m. 's.
    Fly and light tackle fishing with Captain Steve Burnett....
    www.fishwatchhill.com

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsman View Post
    Based on all you have wrote, you are now down in the weeds of reloading. Ask 100 people those questions and you get 100 different answers. Every rifle shoots different (and different powders work better than others depending on the rifle, bullet, and shooter) and the only way you’ll know you gained a 100FPS is if you chronograph your reloads in your rifle.

When I was loading for max velocity I watched for case pressure signs though never exceeded max loads from my speed manual. After marginal hunting experience with max loads I’ve since backed down to middle of the road loads and have had beefed hunting experiences. Velocity is not everything when hunting, especially the Northeast.

The 170 grain 30-30 bullet is the only round nose nosler partition bullet I know of. Hornady does make 180 grain round nose cup -core bullet.

Speer hot cor has a 180 round nose (no idea on availability). Sierra has a 180 round nose as well. Both are .308 diameter.
    Thanks outdoorsman, i agree velocity isn’t everything around here. I think I will just go with a factory 30-30 load and experiment for accuracy from there.

I read that 303s and most 30-30s use a 1-12” twist and don’t usually shoot well with bullets made for a 308 or 30-06. Apparently even the round nose 30-06 or 308 bullets are made with a longer tip and less bullet touching the rifling than a bullet made specifically for a 30-30. That’s just what I’ve read, I have no real world experience with this stuff. I would eventually like to load up something around 200 grains and try it though.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLostBeaver View Post
    Thanks outdoorsman, i agree velocity isn’t everything around here. I think I will just go with a factory 30-30 load and experiment for accuracy from there.

I read that 303s and most 30-30s use a 1-12” twist and don’t usually shoot well with bullets made for a 308 or 30-06. Apparently even the round nose 30-06 or 308 bullets are made with a longer tip and less bullet touching the rifling than a bullet made specifically for a 30-30. That’s just what I’ve read, I have no real world experience with this stuff. I would eventually like to load up something around 200 grains and try it though.
    Recommend you get yourself a descent reloading manual that covers the basic things to do and avoid. SAFETY is all important when reloading. Read all you can about reloading for the 303, you can start with the Internet. Heavy/longer bullets with a higher cannelure line, like a 180 grn used in a 308 or 30-06, can cause a problem with bullet depth seating and then possibly won't chamber. Heavier weight bullets are not designed for 30-30 velocities, which means they don't expand enough or at all. 308 diameter bullets for a 30-30 have thinner jackets so they will expand, and if you shoot them at a velocity that's too fast they will fragment. There's a lot to learn before you start reloading, so start READING and save yourself a lot of grief. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Hunter View Post
    I know nothing about reloading, but would love to see some pics of the guns.
    00F49127-3739-4572-AB41-C45D2A140598.jpg

5DAE7E6A-4275-4D09-B3C0-C741B0E7F1F2.jpg

FDAEEDEB-983D-4FEE-9F70-3F2C490FAFD8.jpg

This is my 303 made in 1909. It’s a model A short rifle that someone ordered with a perch belly stock and rifle butt, they typically came with a straight stock and shotgun butt. 22” barrel with a marble peep. The other gun in the picture is a 1939 300 savage EG, 24” barrel. The 300 has been reblued and refinished and was given to me by my grandfather. The 26” 303 i was talking about is my dads, it was made in 1900, it’s been all redone and looks like new. I will get pictures of it soon.

Very nice rifles, LBeaver.

Sweet rifles....... I'm a sucker for 99's!!

Thanks, and I’m a sucker for them too. I was looking for a 760/7600 carbine, but saw the 303 for $700 and I couldn’t pass it up!