Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of getting into ice fishing

You can't argue with success. Most of the graphs have adjustable scroll speed . After you get some experience with the machine you can usually tell what kind of fish it's showing.
    Fly and light tackle fishing with Captain Steve Burnett....
    www.fishwatchhill.com

IMG_0269.JPG

YOY smelt with 4-7 pound salmon in and under them. Pretty colors and good times
    Last edited by JDK; 02-05-2018 at 04:50 PM.
    I've already told you more than I know.

Flashers are all around better. The only big issue I have with a graph (even though I use one), is the LED will freeze up if it gets super cold and you're not sitting in a shack or a house.

Quote Originally Posted by JDK View Post
    YOY smelt with 4-7 pound salmon in and under them. Pretty colors and good times
    Did any of those Salmon have your name on them or are they all Matt's ?

Quote Originally Posted by SportsmanNH View Post
    Did any of those Salmon have your name on them or are they all Matt's ?
    A certain young man couldn't get out of bed that morning. His loss was my gain.

Quote Originally Posted by nomadicbohunk View Post
    Flashers are all around better. The only big issue I have with a graph (even though I use one), is the LED will freeze up if it gets super cold and you're not sitting in a shack or a house.
    I have an older, early 90's Raytheon unit and will leave the screen lights on while on the ice. Never had an issue w/ freeze up and I don't use any type of shelter. I'm also not out there at 0 degrees though.
    I love it when a plan comes together!

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    I have an older, early 90's Raytheon unit and will leave the screen lights on while on the ice. Never had an issue w/ freeze up and I don't use any type of shelter. I'm also not out there at 0 degrees though.
    We've only ever had issues with LCDs freezing really bad in negative 20 or lower. This is with my garmin and a friend who had a lawrence. They can get a little slow at 0 or so. IT's no different than the lcd display in people's cars. Go start your car when it's really cold and play with the radio or whatever. It's the same thing.

I fished this past Thursday. Set 4 lines for togue and then moved around jigging. 100% of the fish came on jigs (not many fish). If I had just set lines I would have been skunked I believe.

I fished Sunday. Set 2 lines for trout and 2 for whitefish. 5 fish total on tip-ups, over 50 on jigs. A flasher and an assortment of jigs sure can put a lot of fish on the deck in sort order. Next time I go, I doubt I'll bring any bait and tip-ups.

Do you just place the transducer on the ice , do you have to use anything to enhance the contact between the ducer and the ice ?
    Fly and light tackle fishing with Captain Steve Burnett....
    www.fishwatchhill.com

Quote Originally Posted by Flatlander View Post
    Do you just place the transducer on the ice , do you have to use anything to enhance the contact between the ducer and the ice ?
    I place it under the ice.