Thread: Moving out of state?

Default Moving out of state?

Hello:

I was wondering about this situation. It appears I will be moving back to Massachusetts sometime this late spring or through the summer. What happens to my Connecticut hunting license and tags? I am wondering if they will still be valid for 2018 or will I have to get new ones as a non resident?

I recall when I moved out from Massachusetts I had a six month grace period where my license and tags were still viewed as a resident so I could hunt up to the second week of the Massachusetts shotgun season.

Thanks for any replies.

would dual residences work for you? old saying: what they don't know won't hurt them....
    my camp my rules

I would check with the deep. Be hard to explain why your vehicle is registered in mass.
    Fly and light tackle fishing with Captain Steve Burnett....
    www.fishwatchhill.com

I've moved a lot and run into this quite a few times.

I'm assuming you're talking about getting resident tags, and then moving out of state.

I don't know how it goes there, but what I'm saying is pretty much standard in the west. Always call and ask.

First of all, you won't gain residency in your new state for quite a while. It depends on the situation and state. I'm moving to your part of the country this spring and I think it was 6 months there. Usually I just showed a voter registration to prove residency.

Second, you can't have residency in two states. Like no one lets you do that.

Generally, if you draw a resident tag while you're a resident (or buy one OTC as many in the NE are), you're good to use it even after you move. However, you can't go to your new state and buy a resident tag as well. I hope that all made sense.

People do shady things related to residency for big time permits and get caught for it. Some of the tags are hard to get.

On a side note, this is kind of hilarious and a story I love. I have a lifetime hunt/fish permit in the state I grew up in. I flew home to be best man in a wedding. I decided to go fishing in one of the most popular spots in the state next to a big city for the state. It's a pretty crappy lake. I got checked for my license fishing. I didn't have my lifetime permit in my wallet, but I assumed I did (lost it). I had: A CA campfire permit, marine fish, and freshwater fish permit, a resident UT hunt/fish permit, a AZ fish/hunt permit, a NV hunt/fish permit, CO fish permit, MO fish permit, and NM fish permit. All for that year. The game warden laughed a lot and told me he believed me when I said I had a lifetime. "No one would buy that many permits and then go fishing here without being legal."

I called up the CT DEEP and was told that the resident license was good for the entire year. Even if I move back to MA say in July the license would still be good for the fall. It will be 2019 when I'd have to get a CT non res license.

Good deal. Have you bought Ct. licenses already ?
    Fly and light tackle fishing with Captain Steve Burnett....
    www.fishwatchhill.com

I plan to do so very soon.