Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Has the Ontario bubble burst?

Quote Originally Posted by VTHunter08 View Post
    yeah fishing and snowmobiling is their thing up there. Hunting is more icing on the cake then anything.

We got super lucky finding the place we did. My dad booked the same hotel he'd used the previous 2 years and thought we were good to go. couple months before our trip he tried calling them to confirm everything but no answer. So over the next couple weeks he continued to call until finally someone answered. It was a grounds keeper and he said the hotel had been sold and was completely vacant and couldn't believe the previous owners didn't call to inform us of that. So he gave my dad the number of the old owner and they were very apologetic and "pulled some strings" with a friend to get us in another motel in town. So we drive the 28 or so hours up there to this new place which was in the 2nd story above a convenience store. The place was super sketchy, and very dirty. But I was fine with it, I was early to mid 20's, newly single, and quickly noticed the constant traffic of young women going in and out of the dark motel across the street. Figured this is going to a fun trip haha

Well the next morning while my dad and his friend were outside gasing up the atv's for our first day of hunting at 4am two squad cars came squealing up, and uniforms coming from everywhere with side arms drawn! After my dad and his friend spending 10min face down in the street the police officers were finally convinced of our story and not that they were stealing atv's. We told the cop we were up there hunting for two weeks, and his response was "oh no you guys can't stay here, someone was stabbed to death in front of the store the week prior, and they are actively watching the motel across the street b/c it was a known crack and whore house". That was my ah ha moment on all the friendly young women around haha. The cop told us to stay put and give him an hour he was going to see what he could do for us. Hour later he came back and said his captain had just retired and bought some camps on a lake just outside of town and was in the process of fixing them up for vacation rentals. After talking with his ex captain he worked a deal that if we helped him fix up some of the cabins he'd let us stay in the only cabin that was winterized at the time, and he'd give us a deal on our stay. Worked out good, we all shot good bucks, installed some waterlines, and other miscellaneous things around camp, and made some good friends.
    That is a crazy story!
    Born to hunt, forced to work.

Now that's an adventure!
    I love it when a plan comes together!

Quote Originally Posted by VTHunter08 View Post
    Well the next morning while my dad and his friend were outside gasing up the atv's for our first day of hunting at 4am two squad cars came squealing up, and uniforms coming from everywhere with side arms drawn! After my dad and his friend spending 10min face down in the street the police officers were finally convinced of our story and not that they were stealing atv's. We told the cop we were up there hunting for two weeks, and his response was "oh no you guys can't stay here, someone was stabbed to death in front of the store the week prior, and they are actively watching the motel across the street b/c it was a known crack and whore house". That was my ah ha moment on all the friendly young women around haha. The cop told us to stay put and give him an hour he was going to see what he could do for us. Hour later he came back and said his captain had just retired and bought some camps on a lake just outside of town and was in the process of fixing them up for vacation rentals. After talking with his ex captain he worked a deal that if we helped him fix up some of the cabins he'd let us stay in the only cabin that was winterized at the time, and he'd give us a deal on our stay. Worked out good, we all shot good bucks, installed some waterlines, and other miscellaneous things around camp, and made some good friends.
    GUILTY As Charged ! LOL That is one funny story now , but I bet it wasn't at the time. Sounds like it worked out for the best though.