Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Browning blr scope setup

Thanks for the links DLuke, that finish looks really nice and I may end up doing that at some point. This was my grandfathers gun that he gave to me when I started deer hunting, so I’m torn on whether to leave it the way it is or change it up a little. My first thought was to get the 2 piece leupold bases, but I can’t find them for the pre 96 models. I want the scope high enough that I can still get my thumb between the receiver and the scope to carry it with my hand wrapped around it. It’s a .243 and won’t be my main gun, I want it to be light and easy to carry. My main gun is a model 14 savage in 300 wsm, low scope mounts. It weighs around 9 lbs with the scope and doesn’t carry well.

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Gives the gun character! Is it a hunting gun or a safe queen?! lol 2nd the hammer spur and low mounts. Light steel wool and some gloss poly will fade it a little. Good luck with it!
    Whatever bootcamp!

Haha. The scratch doesn’t bother me, I’m worried about the wood getting wet where the finish is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLostBeaver View Post
    Whatever bootcamp!

Haha. The scratch doesn’t bother me, I’m worried about the wood getting wet where the finish is gone.
    Just wipe or brush in a little polyurethane in there. AMF!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheLostBeaver View Post
    I want the scope high enough that I can still get my thumb between the receiver and the scope to carry it with my hand wrapped around it. It’s a .243 and won’t be my main gun, I want it to be light and easy to carry. .
    I'm thinking you are talking about carrying it with one hand, thumb wrapped up around receiver thru scope mounts? I just tried it with my 760 with high see thru mounts, still a little tight for my thumb with bare hands. I never carried the rifle like that before though.
    With two hand carry, one hand would be on forearm and the other on wooden grip.

Yeah that’s what I’m talking about with the see through mounts, being able to carry it with one hand, thumb wrapped around the receiver. I carry with two hands a lot of the time too, but if I want to cover some ground or it’s tough going I prefer to carry with one hand.

I looked up the serial number and it was made in 1988.

I’m still undecided on the stock, if I have time this winter I might still strip and refinish it with tru oil.

I use the 2 piece Leupold mounts on mine with high rings.
    I have a VX-6 1x-6x on it.
    Plenty of room for a gloved thumb on the hammer, although I don't have the pre-88 model.
    Works great for me.