Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Venison sausage

Quote Originally Posted by Fixed blade View Post
    I’m sure everyone has an opinion but for a novice sausage maker what is the best casing to start with? Also what’s the ratio you guys like venison to pork fat? I don’t typically mix fat with my ground for burgers and what not but assume for a good sausage fat is a must. Any help is appreciated.
    It depends on the type of sausage you are trying to make. The easiest to case is the fibrous, non-edible type used for cured sausages (summer, salami, etc). Those tie up with strings and can go into the oven or smoker. For fresh sausage I use hog casings, although I have smoked cured sausage in hog casings as well. These take a bit more practice to stuff evenly. I’m no pro so it takes a few to get the feel for the line between tightly stuffed and having casings blowout. The sheep casings for breakfast links are even thinner so those require more finesse. I’ve only used those a couple times.

I don’t mix anything with my burger either. I have made loose ground breakfast sausage and ground bacon into the mix, that is pretty tasty. I shoot for between 25-35% fatty pork mixed in for cased sausage. I try to find a boneless pork butt if possible, and never anything thats been frozen. I stuffed summer sausage today for smoking tomorrow. I used a 4lb butt to 13lbs of venison.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Hunter View Post
    I heard you liked his sausage. But hey..... don't ask, don't tell.

I figured I'd try to lighten up the mood a bit.
    Way lighten things up Boot Camp!!! Someone yelled boot camp at me a while back so I thought I would do the same...

Quote Originally Posted by 802-603hunter View Post
    It depends on the type of sausage you are trying to make. The easiest to case is the fibrous, non-edible type used for cured sausages (summer, salami, etc). Those tie up with strings and can go into the oven or smoker. For fresh sausage I use hog casings, although I have smoked cured sausage in hog casings as well. These take a bit more practice to stuff evenly. I?m no pro so it takes a few to get the feel for the line between tightly stuffed and having casings blowout. The sheep casings for breakfast links are even thinner so those require more finesse. I?ve only used those a couple times.

I don?t mix anything with my burger either. I have made loose ground breakfast sausage and ground bacon into the mix, that is pretty tasty. I shoot for between 25-35% fatty pork mixed in for cased sausage. I try to find a boneless pork butt if possible, and never anything thats been frozen. I stuffed summer sausage today for smoking tomorrow. I used a 4lb butt to 13lbs of venison.
    Thanks for the info. Have you used collagen casing for sausage? Are they easier than hog? Is there a taste difference? Looking at making an Italian style or garlic sausage for grilling / sauce to star with and once I get a smoker (after you've used yours a few more time / did a follow up review in a few months) I'll try summer sausage. Any more tips are appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Hunter View Post
    I heard you liked his sausage. But hey..... don't ask, don't tell.

I figured I'd try to lighten up the mood a bit.
    D’oh, quality burn!
    My people call me "Stands on Logging Roads."

Quote Originally Posted by Fixed blade View Post
    Thanks for the info. Have you used collagen casing for sausage? Are they easier than hog? Is there a taste difference? Looking at making an Italian style or garlic sausage for grilling / sauce to star with and once I get a smoker (after you've used yours a few more time / did a follow up review in a few months) I'll try summer sausage. Any more tips are appreciated.

Never used the colagen casings. For grilling I liked the hog casings. I mostly did Bratwurst, pre boiled and finished on the grill.

All i’ve ever used are hog casings as well, never had a problem with them. Simple and easy to use, and you can order them salted from Amazon. After living in Sardinia for a few years, that’s my favorite type of sausage to make. Course ground Pork butt and a little venison, and then garlic, aniseed, salt and a good amount of white wine all mixed together.
    Last edited by Mainewoods; 03-25-2018 at 05:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainewoods View Post
    All i’ve ever used are hog casings as well, never had a problem with them. Simple and easy to use, and you can order them salted from Amazon. After living in Sardinia for a few years, that’s my favorite type of sausage to make. Course ground Pork butt and a little venison, and then garlic, aniseed, salt and a good amount of white wine all mixed together.
    Damn that sounds good!