Thread: Considering a new Chessie

Default Considering a new Chessie

My chessie, Kenai, turned 10 this fall and he's been my best bud since he was a pup. We've got a lot of hunting memories together, and now with a family, I couldn't ask for a better dog to watch over them when I'm gone or play with my daughter. I can't wait until I can take my daughter waterfowl hunting but Kenai is in the twilight of his hunting years and my wife and I were discussing the possibility of getting a new chessie soon. From what we know, 9 or 10 is a good time in a dogs life to introduce a new dog to the family if it's done properly. Both dogs can still play together and when the older dogs gets tired of the pup, he just needs a place to get away. Kenai is a gentle giant, hangs out with our chickens when they are loose, and pretty much only hates squirrels, coyotes and all things waterfowl. Oh, and labradoodles, he ain't a fan.

Anyone introduce a new dog to the house and I know all breeds are different.

Nate,
    Give Eric and Michele Stella at Cape Cod Chesapeakes a call. 508-420-9491 a call. Got my male from them 5 years ago. Couldn't be more impressed with him, and their dogs. The web site isn't up to date but I'm sure they will be having a litter or two soon. Hank is 90 lbs, long legged and athletic as any retriever I've ever had. Great temperment with other dogs and people while still retaining all the Chessie traits we love.

Thanks Jim! I checked out their site and gave a call and left a message, so we'll see. Spring time would be perfect. I'm glad your boy is working out for you, as the first couple years, holy hell, chessie's bring you right to the brink of losing your mind, haha!

I can remember on my trip to Northeast Carry one year, I stopped at Cabelas on the way up. Got back to my truck after only an hour in the store and Kenai had grabbed my hunting fanny pack from the front and had it in tatters. I was like "WTF dog?!" He just looked at me with the "don't ever leave me in the truck look". Once at camp, I didn't want to leave him at camp all day, so I would take him with me and dump him out on the tote road to run behind me and get some exercise. Worked great, he'd snooze all day while I hunted.

good looking dog Nate. My kids have been asking for a puppy. I'm just not ready to do it yet.

We have introduced several dogs (mostly labs) at various stages over the years. I have found that it almost always benefits the older dog...keeps them active and curious. Most recently introduced a "Morkie" which is a maltese/yorkie mix to my choc lab. I never would have thought he'd allow it and was afraid to do it at first (morkie is only 5lbs and lab is 90lbs)...anyway a pic speaks a thousand words...he too is a gentle giant.

Baron_daphne.jpg