Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger American Rifle

I don’t have much first hand experience with the Ruger compact yet but I picked one up this spring in .22 for the kids. My nephew has one in 7mm-08 and it seems like a great gun for the money. While I was there at Cote’s I ran into a used Browning X-bolt Micro Hunter in 7mm-08 with a nice wood stock. With the spring sale going on the price was right so I grabbed it. Figured it would make a nice bare ground/scouting gun until one of the kids needs it. Still need to top it with glass, but thats a topic for another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by 802-603hunter View Post
    I don’t have much first hand experience with the Ruger compact yet but I picked one up this spring in .22 for the kids. My nephew has one in 7mm-08 and it seems like a great gun for the money. While I was there at Cote’s I ran into a used Browning X-bolt Micro Hunter in 7mm-08 with a nice wood stock. With the spring sale going on the price was right so I grabbed it. Figured it would make a nice bare ground/scouting gun until one of the kids needs it. Still need to top it with glass, but thats a topic for another thread.
    Nice, that is what I currently have, the micro hunter x bolt in 7mm08. Love the trigger pull on it compared to my 7600 which feel like I’m dragging an anchor through the sand when I squeeze the triggers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingman Cruncher View Post
    Nice, that is what I currently have, the micro hunter x bolt in 7mm08. Love the trigger pull on it compared to my 7600 which feel like I’m dragging an anchor through the sand when I squeeze the triggers.
    Sounds like we operate a similar fleet of guns. The trigger on the X-bolt is alot lighter than my 7600 and 760 for sure. I’m usually snapping off shots at short distances in quick time with those guns so I don’t notice it in hunting applications.

Thanks for the report. Can explain the part of single shooting and dropping the bullet into the action issue?

Are you saying it is diffetent than other bolt actions?

With a detachable magazine I typically load the first one off the magazine, pop it out top off the mag and reinsert before stepping in the woods.

Were you implying that from the bench you had difficulties dropping a shell into the barrel and it needed guidance?
    Yes, I'm saying I had difficulties dropping a shell into the chamber while shooting single shot from the bench. I'm probably spoiled from years of shooting Win. #70's where I could just drop a cartridge down into the action, close the bolt and shoot. Or, in the #70 you could lay the cartridge on the magazine follower, push it down which would effectively put it in the magazine and then close the bolt. Because of the Ruger design I couldn't do this and had to be careful to be sure the bullet was lined up with the chamber before closing the bolt. I don't consider this any sort of game changer against the Ruger and as mentioned would recommend it. If you get a chance to look at one before buying see what you think. Also, you might have fewer problems unless you're operating with 76 year old fingers like I am.

Quote Originally Posted by VtPalmaShooter View Post
    Yes, I'm saying I had difficulties dropping a shell into the chamber while shooting single shot from the bench. I'm probably spoiled from years of shooting Win. #70's where I could just drop a cartridge down into the action, close the bolt and shoot. Or, in the #70 you could lay the cartridge on the magazine follower, push it down which would effectively put it in the magazine and then close the bolt. Because of the Ruger design I couldn't do this and had to be careful to be sure the bullet was lined up with the chamber before closing the bolt. I don't consider this any sort of game changer against the Ruger and as mentioned would recommend it. If you get a chance to look at one before buying see what you think. Also, you might have fewer problems unless you're operating with 76 year old fingers like I am.

I see. I might be wrong but my magazine fed rem 700 mountain rifle and browning x bolt both required dropping a round perfectly down the bore while pointing the rifle at the ground to get one in if you were not drawing off the magazine. It was almost impossible.

I just picked up a .308 RAR for my nephew. I put a nice scope on it (VX3 2.5-8x36). Just ordered a Boyd's for it today. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but I'm sure it will make him a good first adult rifle. Plus, I'll get my Xbolt 6.5 creedmoor back!

FYI- Cabela’s is offering 15% off on select model and calibers of firearms. Looks like the compact RAR in 7mm08 is $365 in the sale. Hard not to get one.

Ironically enough, the guy who I bought the 7600 from bought a Ruger American that same day. It was Black Friday, I think he said he got it for around $340.

I can’t quite determine my obsession with getting one of these, but after holding a couple I think it’s the size. It’s 2.5 inches shorter than a 7600 carbine and more than a pound lighter. Length of pull is perfect and for a gun I don’t really need, the price was right. I wanted the 308 but the 7mm08 was considerably cheaper on sale, so I pulled the trigger no pun intended. I haven’t bought a gun in 10 years, so I’m pretty excited about the whole thing. Likely use it around home, or evenings when if sit the last couple hours of the day.

I can’t quite determine my obsession with getting one of these, but after holding a couple I think it’s the size. It’s 2.5 inches shorter than a 7600 carbine and more than a pound lighter. Length of pull is perfect and for a gun I don’t really need, the price was right. I wanted the 308 but the 7mm08 was considerably cheaper on sale, so I pulled the trigger no pun intended. I haven’t bought a gun in 10 years, so I’m pretty excited about the whole thing. Likely use it around home, or evenings when if sit the last couple hours of the day.
    Do you mean 2.5 inches longer? Length on the 7600 is listed as 39 1/8", the Ruger is 42". The pound lighter is nice for sure and pretty impressive considering it's a full 22" barrel.

Call me a snob, I can't get myself to buy or own a synthetic stock rifle.

Edit, just realized you were looking at the "compact" version. I think I'm with you. I can see that as being appealing. Buddy at work bought a Remington Model 7 last summer for the size. KTP sent the first one back because it wouldn't cycle great, the cartridge wouldn't slide into the barrel straight and would like bind going in because of it. Got it back and it still sucked, so KTP took it back and he bought another one which seems better. For the price he paid, I'm not sure I would have opted for the same thing a second time.
    Last edited by NorthMaine; 12-06-2018 at 08:19 AM.