Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 66

Thread: Ruger American Rifle

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Windham, ME - Hunt well north of here!
    Posts
    3,146

    Default Ruger American Rifle

    Any longer term reviews?

    Looking at getting a synthetic/black bolt compact 18 inch barrel in 7mm08.
    I like the astetics of the gun, the feel, the removable mag, the size, and the price.

    Primarily looking to get this for kids and wife, but suspect I will use it a fair amount as I have been spending more time with my bolt action the last few years. Typically hunt with my 7600 as I walk and climb a lot here in Maine. My 20 inch x bolt I really like but doesn't carry all that well.

    I know this is a relatively cheap gun, and don't think it will compare to a 1k rifle, but looking for people's thoughts.

    I will put a 3-9x40 Burris fullfield II on it.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,000

    Default

    Great rifle and a great price. I bought a RAR all weather compact stainless in .243 for my daughter 2 years ago and this year I bought my oldest son a RAR standard full size (all black with the 22" barrel). Both are topped with the low priced Bushnell Banner 3x9 scopes. These are solid hunting rifles. The mags are plastic and seem a bit cheap but so far no issues and no complaints. My kids are entry level hunters yet these are rifles they can keep forever (Ruger warrantees them forever!) and look back on someday and say "my Dad gave me this when I started hunting" and it will still be a good rifle for them to take afield.

    I will say that the all weather compact length of pull is a little short for an adult but easy to get used to and great to carry (of course I had to field test it for her )

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Windham, ME - Hunt well north of here!
    Posts
    3,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lavman View Post
    Great rifle and a great price. I bought a RAR all weather compact stainless in .243 for my daughter 2 years ago and this year I bought my oldest son a RAR standard full size (all black with the 22" barrel). Both are topped with the low priced Bushnell Banner 3x9 scopes. These are solid hunting rifles. The mags are plastic and seem a bit cheap but so far no issues and no complaints. My kids are entry level hunters yet these are rifles they can keep forever (Ruger warrantees them forever!) and look back on someday and say "my Dad gave me this when I started hunting" and it will still be a good rifle for them to take afield.

    I will say that the all weather compact length of pull is a little short for an adult but easy to get used to and great to carry (of course I had to field test it for her )
    Thanks. I will have to feel one out again, but I'm pretty sure I'd buy a compact even if it was only for me. I have short arms and I am stocky. My x bolt is a compact and I like how it's quick to pull up with layers on. The Rifle gets really great reviews everywhere I have looked.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Phillipston, MA
    Posts
    12,551

    Default

    I have the Ruger American Predator in 6.5CM. The thing is a tack driver. I also added a brake, Timney trigger and a Boyds pro varmint stock to it just because, but it was a tack driver out of the box. Most groups .5-.75" at 100yds. All under 1 MOA even out to 200yds. This gun makes me look like a good shooter LOL
    563D9BA8-E43C-4EA2-9495-6E7E0E9C2497.jpg
    A5A50032-B471-4BF9-A7DA-179ED34DD15E.jpg
    A99F5457-0234-4EC8-8E3F-87D44805B237.jpg
    C433E303-D029-4065-8A64-FD2F3AC38468.jpg

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Windham, ME - Hunt well north of here!
    Posts
    3,146

    Default

    Wow, that's impressive.

    How does it group free hand shaking from looking at a big buck?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    310

    Default

    I may be biased as I am employed at Ruger in Newport, NH. But, I purchased the Ruger American Compact in .243 for my daughter 2 years ago. She killed her first deer with it, 150 lb. 8 point buck. One shot dropped him where he stood. She shoots 3 shot groups off a rest at 50 yards that you can cover with a quarter. I purchased another for my wife in .243 and I purchased the .308. The .308 is now my go to gun for still hunting and the treestand. I shoot 3 shot groups from 50 yards I can cover with a dime. I killed my deer last year with this gun, my dad used it opening day this year and killed his buck and then I killed my buck with it evening before Thanksgiving. The accu trigger is nice, but the bolt is not as smooth as a higher priced rifle. I am ok with that for the price of the gun. Overall, I was very impressed with these guns when I purchased them. I built single action revolvers for years there and never fired any of the rifles. I think you and your family will find many years of happiness with the Ruger American Compact Rifle.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Phillipston, MA
    Posts
    12,551

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingman cruncher View Post
    wow, that's impressive.

    How does it group free hand shaking from looking at a big buck?
    lol

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,367

    Default

    the magazine's suck, bullets wont pop up to feed into the bolt

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Windham, ME - Hunt well north of here!
    Posts
    3,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vtbbhunter View Post
    the magazine's suck, bullets wont pop up to feed into the bolt
    Is that widespread? I heard on the real early models a couple guys (read one post on this forum and one on another), had an issue and replaced magazines cured it. I'll read up if it's considered an issue.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,367

    Default

    I don't know, if so I guess I better check to get a new mag. 7mm08 compact is a nice little gun for my wife, I may even dump a few yotes this winter with it

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •