Thread: Shockwave continued

Default Shockwave continued

Not wanting to hijack the original "Shockwave" thread I'm starting this with some additional thoughts about MZ bullets. I think it's been pretty well documented that the Shockwave is unreliable on big game. I don't know why, perhaps the bullet is simply too hard. The old "Powerbelts" were found lacking on game by many, mainly because they were too soft and needed to be to load as advertised. I'd suggest that those who are unhappy with the results their getting on big game look at some of the newer alternatives. Barnes makes several good mz bullets which are all copper. The model TEZ is suggested for rifles with tight bores. If you have a Thompson Center product, you probably have a tight bore. Lehigh Defense makes several mz bullets, I've used them for some time with good success. I also use their "Extreme Penetrator" bullet in my Ruger 77/44 center fire with excellent results. Knight Muzzleloading also offers a number of mz bullets. The "Bloodline" line is excellent and is actually made by Lehigh. Yes, these are all pricey compared to the Shockwaves and other pistol bullets but were designed for use in mz's at mz velocities. I only hunt with my mz's but if I shot them a lot I'd select one of the above for hunting and work up a practice load, probably with the Hornady XTB pistol bullets. Also some have mentioned being unable to load a particular new bullet/sabot combo they wanted to try because it was to tight. Too loose can also be a problem. Especially using Blackhorn 209, a tight fit is desired. Different thickness sabots can be purchased and tried, I use "Harvester" and there are others. The Harvester Crush Rib Sabot seems to work in many tight bores like the T/C's You can buy direct from Harvester or other sources, such as Cabela's, Midway, etc. If you don't already, when trying new sabot/bullet combo's for initial fit, simply pull the breach plug from your inline and run the sabot/ bullet down the bore and see how it goes. Working up a good hunting load for inlines can get a little time consuming and now's the time to make a note to do some testing next summer. See Knight Bloodline image. bloodline_orange_.jpg
    Last edited by VtPalmaShooter; 12-05-2017 at 08:28 PM.

Nicely put and worth the read. It's got me thinking about my tez's and 209. They group as good as my .308 and that's a tack driver. Wish I had a chrono to see if I'm leaving anything on the table.
    I love it when a plan comes together!

Sabot sizes.jpgChart showing various bullet/sabot combos which gives you an idea of the range of sizing you have in matching a combo to your particular rifle. Also remember that in a .50 cal. mz most bullets have either a diameter of .451" or .452". You may have to change sabot sizes when going from one diameter to another for best results. The diameters given in the chart are for bullet and sabot.
    Last edited by VtPalmaShooter; 12-06-2017 at 10:31 PM.

I plan to try TEZ's next summer

I also plan to spend far more trigger time with my Omega which virtually assures I will not need it.
    I've already told you more than I know.

Yup - Bloodlines with Harvester Sabots. Been using them for about 3 years
    There is more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun. - Fred Bear

Archery Plus - The Bowhunter's Pro Shop
    http://www.archery-plus.com

NWTF - Central Mass Chapter Website
    http://www.centralmassnwtf.com