Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Her Streak of Luck Continues

Quote Originally Posted by sneaky_pete000 View Post
    But you're gonna need another rifle if you intend to keep-her.....
    Christmas isn't to far away

Quote Originally Posted by VTHunter08 View Post
    So last night my wife goes "I think we should see if your parents want to watch the kids Friday night and thru Saturday morning." I said ok but you've already filled your tag sooooo. And her response was "I still have a buck tag in my pocket and I intend to fill it!" lol ookk. Mind you we have one muzzleloader between the two of us so she wants us to sit together and "if a buck comes in she gets it, and if a doe comes in I can shoot it" . . . . . . . Yes dear :)
    That is too funny....for real LOL!
    To visit VBBC website simply copy and paste the following link into your search; www.vtbiggestbucks.com/

Your wife is on a roll. Good for you guys. You going to jar up some of that meat this year?
    Last edited by Big D; 12-07-2017 at 08:01 AM.
    I love it when a plan comes together!

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    You going to jar up some of that meat this year?
    We canned up 3qts of fajita flavor, and 2qt of lipton French onion soup flavor with my buck from rifle. I'm working on her deer right now (hoping to finish it tonight), then my muzzy doe next. Both those deer will all be canned except for a little burger, backstraps and inners loins. Probably do a few more fajita, quite a few more French onion, and I'll do some beef bouillon cubes with mushrooms and onions. Can usually fit about 2lbs of meat in a qt.

We canned up 3qts of fajita flavor, and 2qt of lipton French onion soup flavor with my buck from rifle. I'm working on her deer right now (hoping to finish it tonight), then my muzzy doe next. Both those deer will all be canned except for a little burger, backstraps and inners loins. Probably do a few more fajita, quite a few more French onion, and I'll do some beef bouillon cubes with mushrooms and onions. Can usually fit about 2lbs of meat in a qt.
    I love the sounds of canning venison, need to try it. First I need to down a deer this year.

Its delicious. My wife likes venison steaks and burger, but after having it canned for the first time last year she said she'd prefer it that way over anything else. Hence the reason we're pretty much putting two deer into just cans. Makes good xmas presents too

I'd like to do this with waterfowl, so it doesn't taste like, you know, waterfowl.

My mother used to can alot of my venison. Unfortunately i never really paid much attention to how she did it. I would really like to get into canning again. I agree, the meat is excellent!

Forgot to mention the easy side of it too. We have two young kids at home. Constantly chasing one around the house and the other one is one night basketball practice, the next ski club, the next hanging out with this friend or the other. Its nice to pop a jar throw it in the sauce pan, heat it up, and put on top of egg noodles. Dinner done.

Hoops its super easy. All you need is a pressure cooker, jars, lids, non iodized salt, and w/e seasonings you want. Theres a ton of youtube videos on how to do it too. My one piece of advice is some videos say fill the jars to the shoulders with water after its full of meat. Don't do this. The meat creates its own liquid.
    Last edited by VTHunter08; 12-07-2017 at 01:55 PM.

What do you do just pour in a packet of the seasoning before the canning process? Or do you mix w/ the meat before you put in the jar? Like you just said also, don't add water.
    I love it when a plan comes together!