Thread: reload sticking

Default reload sticking

Having a time with reloads in 250 Savage i switched to 115 gr Partitions and have them loaded to max i can fire 2 or 3 rounds no problem with cases sticking but if i run a loaded case into the hot chamber and leave it there the bolt will come up but cant get bolt to come back without pounding it back . Then it almost pulls bullet out of case ?
    the overall length is tad under maxium and cases are trimmed ?
    any help and suggestions woul be appreciated

If the bullets are pulling out of the case they must be engaging the rifling. Smoke a bullet with a candle and chamber it. If rifling marks are on the bullet you'll have your answer. How do the fired primers look , if the bullets are touching the rifling it will cause a pressure spike. What is the rifle ?
    Fly and light tackle fishing with Captain Steve Burnett....
    www.fishwatchhill.com

Are you full length resizing ?
    www.fishwatchhill.com

Along the lines of what Flatlander commented. Another method is to use a case with a cracked mouth, or cut a case mouth, set a bullet at the overall length you’re using then chamber the round. The bullet will be easily pushed back if you overall length is too long, which it sounds very much like it is.

The bullets you’re using now can have a different profile and require a different overall length.
    Last edited by outdoorsman; 12-03-2017 at 12:49 PM.
    Leave my rifle, my fishing pole, my traps, and leave me be.

yes im full length resizing rifle is a Savage 111 C.O.L is 2.515 what is throwing me off is i can chamber a round no resistance and fire 1 or 2 rounds and chamber the 3rd and not fire it and 15 or 20 minutes later i cant get the round out . the primers look good
    Think that what i will try first cut load back and overall length

Can you cycle rounds o.k. if you don't let them sit in the chamber? Backing off on the loads shouldn't make a difference with unfired rounds. Any trouble with factory ammo ?
    www.fishwatchhill.com

no trouble with factory ammo and 90 gr hollow point reloads
    i compared the 100 gr Partition to the 115 gr Partition an the 115 is little longer an thicker
    i took a black marker and colored the 115gr load and bingo rifling marks and a couple other of the reloads went in tight so i think thaty was the problem too long cartridge
    i took and seated to 2.500 didnt fire any yet but they dont stick and bolt closes easy

That sounds like you solved the problem.
    www.fishwatchhill.com

Hey Thanks to you Flatlander and outdoorsman for the great advice and info i appreciate it will fire them off this week and see how it goes