Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Maine Buck

Quote Originally Posted by vtbuilder View Post
    OK so the story behind this Buck starts with a Float hunt on the 1st week down a stream that cuts right through my favorite piece of woods to hunt. It was about a 7 mile float that turned into a full day paddle since the north wind was blowing about 20 head on. during a quick lunch break on shore i noticed a pretty decent track on the bank. While checking that out i found a heavily used trail crossing this stream (its actually a river but it is called a stream) so i finished up my lunch a finished the float with 1 doe sighted and some beautiful country seen from a new angle. Fast forward to the start of week 2. I am guiding a hunter from NJ who wants to learn woodsmanship as much as he wants to hunt. So i decided i would take him over to my favorite piece of ground and start the day with some map and compass work. After a crash course on navigation with a map and compass we worked on walking in the woods correctly for the rest of the day getting into more concentrated deer sign than i may have ever seen in northern Maine. As the week went on we really started honing in on some good deer activity and decent buck sign. my hunter passed up on a spike buck and missed an opportunity on a decent 6, 17 deer in total for the week , and one track that i just was not willing to forget. Week 3 was my week to hunt and Monday i had a obligation to attend so no hunting for me. Tuesday was a slow start to the day not getting out into the woods until 9 or so i decided i was going to go and see if i could work up that track from the week before and find the buck who made it. Since most of the sign i had found the week before was showing us that the deer where working parallel to the stream i decided with a south wind today i was going to cross the stream and come in from a different approach remembering that crossing from the 1st week i knew that the deer where crossing the river, so i decided to come in on a road that paralleled the opposite side of the stream that we had been hunting. quite a few miles later and in the last 30 minutes of light this guy pushes a doe across a twitch road 35 yards in front of me and that was that.
    Great story.

What part of Maine are you hunting?

Sounds like the river between Kittery and Portsmouth to me!

Goodness gracious!!!
    To visit VBBC website simply copy and paste the following link into your search; www.vtbiggestbucks.com/

Great buck!!! Congrats!!!

Great job and nice buck! In season scouting paid huge dividends! Congratulations

Quote Originally Posted by Kingman Cruncher View Post
    Sounds like the river between Kittery and Portsmouth to me!
    Haha. Surprised I didn't see him from my work.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthMaine View Post
    Great story.

What part of Maine are you hunting?
    Hunting in zone 19

Oh, southern Maine.
    I've already told you more than I know.

Quote Originally Posted by JDK View Post
    Oh, southern Maine.
    On the Washington Aroostook County line

Quote Originally Posted by vtbuilder View Post
    On the Washington Aroostook County line
    Right, southern Maine