Thread: May have blown it this PM

Default May have blown it this PM

Well. I think I blew it, sort of. I did an afternoon treestand hunt on the back side of my property. I went out and put three scent wicks that have been dipped in a bottle of ConQuest Ever Calm lure and climbed into my stand. Pulled up my day pack and Barnett Whitetail 2. I sat until the end of legal shooting light.
    It was around 355 PM or so when I heard movement to the northwest of me. I am on a hillside covered with spruce and hardwood. The bottom has some giant white pines and spruce as well before it turns to some swampy lowland.
    I could hear the distinctive footsteps of something other than a squirrel. Soon I spotted the outline of a doe. I watched her intently as she walked northward( away from my stand) and seemed to hole up. Soon at 405 or so, two does emerged into a long shooting lane I cut last summer. The does were next to each other. I surmised that the two are related. The larger must be the mother and the smaller, the daughter. I had the green circle of the crossbow scope reticule on her chest area and then moved to disengage the safety on the crossbow.
    I guess that was all that had to take place. She must have seen my movement and the two bolted like scalded cats. They took off without making any sound but I saw tails headed to a swampy brook area.
    I figured they were spooked but didn't really know what was wrong. After a while around 420 PM I heard the doe start blowing at me. Whoosh, whoosh, whoosh!
    I guess that was it. Besides, it was the end of legal shooting light and I am hoping one of the two bucks I had seen on my trail camera would show up when I am in that stand.
    I will give it a rest for a few days until Thanksgiving. I am hoping by then, the deer will not be as spooked.

Maybe the movement spooked them, but it sounds like they got your scent when they started snorting. At least you had some action, good luck on Thanksgiving.