Thread: Ozonics

Default Ozonics

Well-I will admit, I can be a bit of a "gear guy". I have a couple of bow hunting buddies that swear by ozonics, and had encounters with deer downwind using ozonics. I have read this article: https://www.fieldandstream.com/artic...g-sniffing-dog
    on its effectiveness. My buddy shot a buck last year that he said was downwind while using the ozonics. So...i bought one of the HR200's. Last night was my first "encounter" with a deer that came in behind me while I was downwind of a runway that heads towards corn (they never seem to follow the script do they?). The cover behind me is thick cedar, and I was in a treestand about 18' up, with great cover. That is to say I don't think it was possible that the deer saw me. So with a stiff north wind a deer came in from the south and started blowing at me. I never saw the deer (that is how thick it is behind me) but it blew for 5 minutes. It wouldn't stop! Then i saw a flash of a flag off to the west of me and it was gone. My question-was the amount of time, and the number of times she (assuming it was a doe the way it blew) blew a testament to the fact the she couldn't quite figure out what I was due to the ozonics? Or, did she peg me right away and just stick around and blow for that long of a time? I am not ignorant to the fact that nothing can completely cover your scent, and I wasn't hunting a bad wind....until the deer came out behind me! Just wondering if anybody else has any experience with the effectiveness of one of these units?

It's snake oil, hocus pocus. I see people talk about Ozonics, and now Scent Crusher, and they "The deer was downwind and didn't smell me!" almost as if they had never had a deer downwind not smell them before.
    My people call me "Stands on Logging Roads."

I had a guy try to sell me all the nose jammer products the last time I was in the local shop. "It works so good that I just bow hunt on the ground" It was twice the price of the standard shampoo and laundry detergent that I normally buy so I passed. I often wonder how important it really is to used these products. At the end of the day, playing the wind is always important regardless of all the latest and greatest products.

To answer your question, In my experience, a doe will blow several times when alarmed. I've had them see me and blow several times while running. I've had them wind me and blow several times while remaining stationary. Most of my buck encounters have been one loud blow and then they take off.
    Born to hunt, forced to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Hunter View Post
    I had a guy try to sell me all the nose jammer products the last time I was in the local shop. "It works so good that I just bow hunt on the ground" It was twice the price of the standard shampoo and laundry detergent that I normally buy so I passed. I often wonder how important it really is to used these products. At the end of the day, playing the wind is always important regardless of all the latest and greatest products.
    Yep, just like when people say "my camo works so well that the deer just look THROUGH me!" Yeah, well I've sat on the ground leaning against a tree with blaze orange hat and vest with a deer standing 5 feet in front of me, so I don't think the camo mattered much...
    My people call me "Stands on Logging Roads."

My opinion of those units is they are worthless . That doe scented you and was blowing because she didn't know where you were, but knew there was danger upwind. I think there is some value to them if you are using it in a ground blind , but thats it. I own rental properties and have used both the bigger units that you cant be in the room with it running because it will burn your lungs, and the small ones you leave plugged into a wall outlet to keep the air fresh. Both work great in an enclose area. But just think of it for a sec. You are up in a tree with this unit above you. Your enclosed space is the universe. Nobody is going to convince me that little unit is wiping out your scent. In a fraction of a second when those molecules come out of that unit , they are attaching themselves to any scent like the smell of leaves , bark etc. Anything thats in the air. Just to give an example. I bought a condo that the previous owner was a smoker. The big unit I mentioned is a 2500. It takes it 1 to as long as 2 hours to clear the cigarette smell in a room thats 14x16. Once its done , you open the door to let fresh air into the room and 2 minutes later you can walk in that room with no hazard. The molecules it produces dont last very long. The small ones I use are rated at 50 and can be left on 24/7 just to keep the air fresh. My point is if it takes an hour for a unit thats rated 2500 to clear the smoke smell out of a 14x16 room , how can a unit thats rated at 400 mounted on a tree outdoors have any affect at all.
    I read that article before about the sniff test. There are so many flaws in each of those tests its not even funny. The biggest flaw is they used it with the guy in a box. It somewhat worked only because the guy was in an enclosed area just like a ground blind. Now take that same guy and have him out in the air with that thing over his head or even holding the unit and that dog would of found him in seconds. There was no good test with him in the tree stand either. They dont mention the variables other than the wind which we know can blow all over the place. How humid was it ? If humid you scent sinks to the ground. No humidity, scent floats away and disperses Like I said. It might work in an enclosed area like a ground blind, but dont turn it up too high because its not good for you.

Its all about marketing. Just like that new killer fishing lure that supposed to have fish begging to bite it, that usually catches more fishermen than fish LOL

i am always a cam guy, want the best gear I can get ect ect. with not much time I jumped in a stand wind going in all directions. hadn't been into this area in 2 years, bam first sit, came in down wind a 14" wide 4 pointer dressed out clan at 135. do I think the ozonics work.... sometimes I bet yes it saves hunts, but other times I think the deer don't care if they get a small whiff of human

I don’t use any or the gadgets. I barely even wear camo. My method is cheap and simple. I barely get busted anymore. Of course the deer smell me but not enough to get alarmed and blow at me. I consistently kill mature deer and hunt the same stand or area days in a row. The only store bought hunting product I use is scent killer spray and that’s only if I’m at my camp for a few days without access to a washer.
    1. I wash my clothes in a non scented laundry detergent. Usually arm and hammer brand.
    2. I hand them outside to air out for at least a day.
    3. After I hunt I hang them outside.
    4. Keep a thin face mask on.
    5. Have multiple base layers to switch between.
    6. Take a bath every morning with dove unscented bar soap.
    7. If I come in for lunch I take a shower before I go back out.
    8. Arm and Hammer unscented deodorant. ( I use this year round along with the laundry detergent.
    9. Keep a pocket full of mints etc. I think most of what a deer smells is your breath.
    10. I don’t use any scents or lures. I keep the woods as natural as possible. A new smell will alarm deer and they get curious.
    11. Clear an area under your stand to pee in. Kick fresh dirt on it before leaving.