Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Early Season Buck Behavior

Check this out - the date and time stamp are correct. This is high on a mountainside, around 2700ft, facing west - I saw this because the photoperiod is the same, but the climate is very different from most of this area. Notice how the buck has his nose on the ground, and is following her right along, step by step. This surprised me. Maybe it shouldn't and maybe everyone here see's the same thing. It looked a little rut'ish, even though it was a warm week in early October.

Thoughts?

*I'm not sure I remember how to post the pics from the new hosting website, so it might take me a couple posts to get the entire string of photos to post.

Here he comes in the background:

Hot on her scent trail as they leave view...

Honestly, I don't see anything unusual or unexpected. He's a young curious buck, and he's obviously not chasing her as she looks very relaxed and he's almost 10 minutes behind her. Once the velvet peels the bucks will all be ready to breed if they find a hot doe. This just looks like he is feeding along behind her.
    My people call me "Stands on Logging Roads."

Yeah, you might be 100% right. I just don't typically see bucks with their nose on the ground that much so early in the season, but the trailcam game is new to me, so maybe I've just always missed it.

I think he’s just feeding along with her...maybe he’s a little curious about her?? Cool series of pics either way.

Quote Originally Posted by jht2224 View Post
    I think he’s just feeding along with her...maybe he’s a little curious about her?? Cool series of pics either way.
    Its very possible. Again, I love the discussion and hearing peoples opinions, so I'm not convinced there's anything at all going on.

That cam ended up being pretty productive. I didn't expect to get as many deer on it as I did, and ended up with a beautiful cow moose and a couple fleeting bear pics as a leaf was blowing in front of the lens.

I've been more serious about running cameras this year than ever before and a couple things that have surprised me are:
    1. How many deer I get pictures of in places where there is relatively little sign.
    2. How much deer are drawn to scrapes, even old ones that don't show any real activity.

Quote Originally Posted by RememberBaker View Post
    I've been more serious about running cameras this year than ever before and a couple things that have surprised me are:
    1. How many deer I get pictures of in places where there is relatively little sign.
    2. How much deer are drawn to scrapes, even old ones that don't show any real activity.
    Funny, exact same observations here.

Also, I created my own scrape this fall for the first time. Every time we go by on the 4-wheeler, I take a leak in it. It definitely seems to pull deer in. They seem very curious. None of them have freshened it up, but they all swing by and take a sniff.