Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Camp Meals

Quote Originally Posted by Escout711 View Post
    I've never heard of leftover steak or bacon, what are these things of which you speak?
    Touche. How about "the extra that you bought and cooked thinking ahead?"

This kind of reminds me when we would buy Sunday's beer in college on Saturday because of no beer sales in that town on Sunday's. Don't ever recall much of the "secret stash" making it!

Quote Originally Posted by Escout711 View Post
    I've never heard of leftover steak or bacon, what are these things of which you speak?
    X2
    Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    National Rifle Association

A great thread topic:
    Pasta dishes are always a good choice and easy enough to pre-make and bring with us to camp (pasta w/ meatballs, lasagna, baked ziti, chop sue etc), I also enjoy either steaks or ribs one night. I am one of those guys that looks at eating as a celebration and I like just about everything. But for camp making things easy really is a wise move. Somedays you get back later than expected, or you are tired from putting too many miles on, maybe lucky with a late night drag. The last thing you want on those nights is to get into a big prep. Bag salads, frozen garlic breads, frozen veggies all make it a bit easier to pull things together. The last Saturday is usually just a bunch of leftovers - generally not steak and bacon (they don't last long) and by then we are running dangerously low on beers.
    We generally have some good apps while we are just getting the cam warm and hanging clothes - cheese and crackers, pepperoni, pate, sardines etc.

Breakfast: biscuits and gravy. Hot, sticks to the ribs.
    Bag lunch: hands down, PB&J. Crunchy PB, grape jam, not jelly. Easy, quick. Good energy when it's cold.
    Supper: venison shepherds pie. Cream and kernel corn mixed, homemade mashed taters, brown gravy. Make at home, pop in the oven when you get in after dark. Added bonus the corn does its thing so morning waits at the outhouse are minimal!

what we do in camp is everone brings a meal. Most often frozen and usually double what we actually need. Usually frozen trays so we can just pop it in the oven after the hunt and while guys are getting gear put away the meal is cooking. Eggplant parm, sausage and peppers, Chicken parm, pulled pork, Pork loin,
    venison meat loaf, venison stew just to name a few popular ones. breakfast options are the norm, sausage and eggs, bacon and eggs, hash and eggs, e offset the eggs with pancakes and french toast just to change things up. No body in my group is cheap so we also have plenty of deserts for after dinner and oh yeah the million dollar bar. It works out great and cooking takes minimal time.

We bring a few dishes from home for dinner. My favorite is the homemade mac & cheese with Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar and either bacon or ham mixed in. Spaghetti is another easy prep. Breakfast is usually oatmeal at my camp, but at another camp I attend we usually heat up some premade quiche. Lunches are usually PB & honey or bologna sandwiches. I prehydrate in the mornings and don't bring alot of snacks.

Reflecting back, each camp I atttend has their unique traditions, wouldn't be the same without them. I bet I eat more PB and bologna sandwiches during November than I do during the rest of the year combined.

We eat a hearty breakfast.
    Pancakes with frozen mixed berries, for those of you from NJ/PA, we bring taylor ham (aka pork roll) make sandwiches on large English muffins, breakfast burritos is another favorite. You can throw anything into those.

We usually try to plan dinners that can used for lunches as well.
    Turkey, tender loin (One of us usually gets a deer during bow season, if not, beef), meatballs & sausage, spiral ham are the usual's.
    We all go our separate ways during the day, so we are seldom at the truck for lunch.
    The exception is if its brutally cold. Then we'll meet and cook up something hot.