Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rubs & Scrapes

Default Rubs & Scrapes

I was out and about checking some cameras today, I found 3 fresh scrapes and a nice rub all concentrated around one of my stands. Also had a nice buck on the camera during daylight hours, with the weather being what it?s been I was pretty surprised to see so much action. How is this warm weather affecting the movement for you guys?
    Attached Images Attached Images

For the most part action has been slow at my spots. A few pics of decent bucks but slow. A scrape that I have been watching for a few years was opened up and is seeing some activity. This guy came in to check out the scrape at 1pm which is odd. Pretty much all the other pictures are in the dark.
    buck1.jpg

I had a buck show up the same day at 1:30pm. I wonder what was going on that day to trigger afternoon movement. The full moon was right around the same time I think.

I've been hearing a lot of guys over the last week saying they were finding rubs and scrapes as well. I just came in from getting soaked, checking some spots where I hunt. I did hang 4 cameras, but no fresh rubs or scrapes seen. I hung the cams on 3 old scrapes that have been getting pounded over the last couple years, and one sign post rub that hadn't been shined up YET. It was nice to get out and wander around with the leaves falling and changing colors. It's hard to believe our ML season is opening 18 days from now!! Let's just hope this warmer air pattern doesn't hang around much longer.

I scouted around Wednesday, and didn't see any rubs/scrapes. I went back out yesterday afternoon and saw a decent rub and about 10 scrapes in one 2 mile loop. I also had a decent buck on camera at 7 AM. Despite the really warm weather, the bucks are getting going.

2CCC4D40-B3C6-4EB6-9F18-8D3BDAB41584.jpg

This is the rub I put one camera on
    Last edited by NH Hunter; 10-10-2017 at 04:45 AM.

Its exciting when they start to show up. I didn't see any of either one this weekend, but I'm sure they're working on them this week.

Found a good one on Saturday, first one I've found this year. This is about 100-125 yards from where I killed 2 bucks last year. I put a camera on it, and hopefully it gets visited frequently!

Scrape.jpg
    My people call me "Stands on Logging Roads."

Found a good rub saturday in maine. No scrapes or grouse but acorns everywhere.

IMG_4196 (2).jpgIMG_4198 (2).jpg

They've been making rubs for awhile, whether to get the velvet off, or to lay scent. This was taken Sept 17th, and you can see very hard horned, but had been rubbing. So that wasn't velvet rubbing he was doing......

Rubbing.JPG
    "License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man, free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit - ever. They're like the Viet Cong - Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower. And that's all she wrote.
    "