Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rem. 740 30-06

Is it possible the barrel is loose thus screwing up the head spacing? I had a 7600 that the barrel would shoot loose and my reload brass was all garbage because it screwed the head spacing up. Also had a friend with a 35 rem bored to a 35 whelen that we had brass sticking in it and actuall torn one our with a starting load. Brought it to a smith and found out the head space was all off. Good luck.

Possible the extractor is worn. Think about how it has to slip over the rim when chambering, then has to hold onto that teeny bit of casing rim as it's forced back under pressure to eject. If chamber is clean and not pitted, my guess is extractor is worn, or the little rivet that holds it in is loose.
    Pic of the part:https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1595420A
    Notice the part that grabs the rim is not very big....
    Other thing to check is that the ejector plunger is not stuck out, would prevent extractor from getting a good bite, and also cause the case to be cocked on exit causing marks.

I don't recall seeing that extractor on the bolt, what I do recall is Part #25 which is next to the firing pin. Should this gun have both? If so: that is the problem. I'm also confused when they talk about the "bar" type, don't know what they mean by that....Is part # 25 the ejector plunger you talk about? thanks everyone for your thoughts
    my camp my rules

Earl,
    The part protruding from the bolt face next to the firing pin is the ejector. It is spring loaded and put pressure on one side of the cartridge base. As the bolt opens and moves to the rear, the extractor (which has slipped OVER the cartridge rim when chambering) pulls the spent case to the rear. Once the case has cleared the chamber and is not restricted from moving sideways, the plunger forces the empty case out the ejection port.
    Some good reading here:http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Gun%..._semiauto.html
    Like others have said, check the chamber for dirt or rust too.

Earl , the part you are looking for is number 28 on page 2 from the site 41mag posted. I think 41mag is right that the extractor might be worn and sliding over the lip on the casing. Still grabbing the lip enough to make marks on it. But not enough to pull the casing out. They have 2 kinds , both are part number 28. An Original and a reproduction.
    https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...rem/740?page=2

Yes , part number 25 is the ejector which is hard to find and part number 28 is the extractor. I would get one of those extractors and have a gunsmith take it apart and professionally clean the gun.

Hey 41mag . I posted an article on the 740/742 from leeroysramblings on my 1st post . I think yours is even more in depth.
    Last edited by SportsmanNH; 10-15-2017 at 01:07 AM.

thanks for the info. cleared my confusion up. After our hunting season is over I will look into this problem closer. Again I thank everyone for there input.
    my camp my rules