Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Gps for iphone?

Biggest issue I have had with the phone is freeze up and shutdown we it gets really cold out.

Quote Originally Posted by AMT1379 View Post
    Biggest issue I have had with the phone is freeze up and shutdown we it gets really cold out.
    Yep, you've got to keep them warm.

Iphones REALLY freeze up and don't hold charge when they get cold. My brother's is toast after a day...he uses them for work so he's got fancy extra batteries.

Just get a garmin. If you get the oregon/montana, you can upload satellite images for free. It's tricky, but you can do it with google earth and the garmin program.

Quote Originally Posted by sneaky_pete000 View Post
    This is an interesting discussion. I have both, and see the benefits of both, but my GPS never comes with me anymore. A friend that I hunt NH with has ditched his Garmin now too, and only uses his phone. I actually have more problems getting my gps to connect to satellites than my phone. Its so much faster. And since I put it in "airplane mode", I've never arrived back at the truck with the battery under 80%, that I remember. I turn it on, see where I am on the map, decide my plan of attack, then put the phone to sleep and the compass takes over. Its rarely on for more than a minute or two anyway.
    That's a good trick to know (airplane mode) didn't even know what that was for as I don't have an airplane...

one reason we bought the garmin 320 (which also tracks Bella's collar) is because all the gps apps on an iphone suck battery like no tomorrow
    Rob & Diane Richardson
    Georges Mills, NH
    Rob Richardson Art
    Dogs By Diane
    Working Class Canine Wildlife Recovery (blood tracking)
    www.frontierrots.com

Quote Originally Posted by frontierrots View Post
    one reason we bought the garmin 320 (which also tracks Bella's collar) is because all the gps apps on an iphone suck battery like no tomorrow
    IF you trace a route, like you do, you absolutely MUST have a gps. You're 100% correct, leaving it on to trace your path is a battery sucker.