Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noticed two 760's in 35 Whelan today

Default Noticed two 760's in 35 Whelan today

9-22-2017
    While browsing the used gun racks at LL Bean in Freeport this afternoon I noticed two very nice Rem 760's in 35 Whelan.
    I was very careful not to drool on them!

Quote Originally Posted by Grampa View Post
    9-22-2017
    While browsing the used gun racks at LL Bean in Freeport this afternoon I noticed two very nice Rem 760's in 35 Whelan.
    I was very careful not to drool on them!
    How much?

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    How much?
    As I recall $650ish

If they are in good shape I would buy them both. Going for a low of 700 and a high of 1200 on Gunbroker. I see them going higher also. The only thing that could bring them down is if Remington comes out with 35 Whelen again in the 7600. IMHO.
    Last edited by longbow; 09-23-2017 at 04:49 PM.

I don't think they ever made a 760 in 35whelen but I could be wrong. Most likely they are rebored or rechambered 35rems. Either way if they were in good shape they're probably worth it.

A 35 Rem rechambered to a 35 Whelen has rifling twist drawbacks. The better scenario is to rebore a 30-06.
    Leave my rifle, my fishing pole, my traps, and leave me be.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsman View Post
    A 35 Rem rechambered to a 35 Whelen has rifling twist drawbacks.
    Not to mention the cartridge length/bolt travel issues. The 35 Rem is a pretty short cartridge vs the Whelen. I'm surprised that it would work. I would think a rebore of a .270 or -06 would be more likely?

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    If they are in good shape I would buy them both. Going for a low of 700 and a high of 1200 on Gunbroker. I see them going higher also. The only thing that could bring them down is if Remington comes out with 35 Whelen again in the 7600. IMHO.
    I listed mine for $800 a few years ago and sold it in one day.
    Born to hunt, forced to work.

It’s hard to find any 760/7600 in my area no matter what the caliber. My brother wanted a 7600 carbine for years and my mom finally found one on gunbroker last year. She paid around $700 for it. A week later she found another in a local pawn shop in excellent condition for $800 and bought that one also.

Quote Originally Posted by RememberBaker View Post
    Not to mention the cartridge length/bolt travel issues. The 35 Rem is a pretty short cartridge vs the Whelen. I'm surprised that it would work. I would think a rebore of a .270 or -06 would be more likely?
    I thought the same thing a few years ago. I wanted a .358 win or to have a .338 federal made for a shorter pump cycle. What my research found was that the 7600 receiver is one size fits all. They made it for smart manufacturing and if you measure the .308 and 30-06 receiver opnening they are identical and the pump cycle is identical. I.e. No agvantage on quicker ejection like a short action bolt gun or long action bolt gun. Long story short I stuck with my .35 whelens and never pursued it any further. Not sure if this is the same thing your talking about or not.