Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blood tracking 2017

How far do you travel in NH to help a hunter from your location?

Depends
    weve gone hour and half but prefer less
    theres a ton of trackers in some areas so we try to be respectful and refer to them if the call is in their area
    https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/ed...0850000002&z=5
    Rob & Diane Richardson
    Georges Mills, NH
    Rob Richardson Art
    Dogs By Diane
    Working Class Canine Wildlife Recovery (blood tracking)
    www.frontierrots.com

wow I'm way behind

Trustbut Verify (and still be confused)
    Went on a track an hour away last night
    Hit site you could see where the deer turned and ran. But first blood was not for several yards
    We started tracking close to 10 pm

Right away as hunter is showing us his first blood sign, Bella indicated deer went other way but we had to follow the track to confirm that.Bella was frantic trying to get us to go "the right way"but we made her follow track the way the hunter had gone.

Decent dripping blood sign goes up hill. significant dripping sign each place deer stood still. No beds, no stumbles, no falls.
    At the top of hill where hunter and friend lost sign we cast dog about but she indicated nothing except wanting to go back down
    Followed dog at least twice down and she indicated crossing stone wall same place. Finally Let her cross and followed her. zero blood sign though dog was strong, so pulled off and went back up again. At first blood Bella say down and refused to come with me wanting to go back the direction she said deer went but I got her convinced to go up one last time

Cast farther out beyond hunter's last blood, still nothing so let dog come back down again
    at this point Rob finds drip blood sign indicating downhill travel confirming Bella saying deer turned and went back down
    Down near first blood was what hunter had thought was part of first blood but actually was last blood

The deer had come down hill on same path then veered off and stood in this thick bush a while. Blood was on top of the leaves of the bush(not wipe on , actual dripped onto) at a fairly high height of my pant waist height.
    one more splotch of blood indicating path down then zero blood that we could see.

We let Bella follow track out and she took me back (cutting across) to where I had pulled her off before, then wound her way to road near where we parked and across road. Deer tracks in ditch at crossing but no blood. We called track here

peach colored line is where deer path actually most likely was

Dont know what to say

Did not appear to be a chest hit. Thinking shoulder or head. Loud wack noise indicates bone

no arrow found.

ZERO beds

The fact that blood just stopped baffles us. I mean we do see this from time to time, but not usually so completely with this much blood
    GREAT JOB Bella
    belladoe101017.JPG

A Mess

Tracking wounded game has some amazing highs,heartbreaking lows and moments of total bafflement where you'd pay any sum of money for your dog to talk.

Wewent on a track last night that had a difficulty level 9 for many reasons, the biggest one being because Bella cant speak English.

We knew going into the track that human contamination was going to be a 12 on a scale of 1-10. The doe did not bleed at the shot site. The hunter backed out for a bit to get help and give the doe some time. When he came back the mother of all searches ensued.Grids, circles, loops, you name it they did it trying to find blood sign.
    The guys are amazing and they found blood, but the blood sign made zero sense with circles loops and back tracks.

With the hit site basically being ground zero in a search bomb we made the(wrong) decision to start at last blood. Right off Bella said we were going the wrong way, but sometimes that is what she says when we start at last blood as she has not had time to orient to the deer and we work it out. So we pushed her to follow the other way and she did but eventually gave me the lost sign indication.
    So we started again to same affect.

Did an intensive field search through head high dense weeds and multiflora rose. Checked every possible place for a dead deer or an exit path all to no avail.

Made our way to the stretch across the field in the woods with better effort and more blood. Bella took me up and over the hill across a dry stream bed and straight up a steep hill. Having seen no bloodsign coming from a decent amount I took her back assuming this was the track of one of the young deer that had stepped in the blood too.Hunter showed me a fair splash of blood and again Bella said we were heading wrong way. She tried to take me back to that hill.

Instead I made her come back to field and extensively search more to no effect.. In all we searched for 2-3 hours.
    We checked a roadside ditch as we were leaving too

I kept telling Rob I was sure the deer was up the hill and as soon as I downloaded the gps off the handheld to the computer I could see Bella was right and her handler was a moron

Tanline is what I am fairly sure deer did (I did not mark all blood sothere is more loops actually than shown on the probable doe path)
    On the plus side there's 5+ acres that I am certain there is no deaddeer in LOL

belladoe100517.JPG

Twoover the weekend

Two tracks. One friday one today
    Friday was a high hit buck. about 15 hours old. Hunter had already tracked it about a mile. We followed it from minimal blood to an area under conifers where the buck had spent a lot of time walking around and two hand sized spots blood.Looked like it had been trying to groom it's wound.
    After that point no more blood
    Got out on a power line and headed up a ways before crossing our entrance road and heading back the way he came.
    Called this o
    ne
    bellabuck093017.JPG

Monday was a high down angled hit. Hunter left to help friend track deer right after hit so buck was totally unpressured 4.5 hours.
    On and off blood from dollar bill to quarter sized to where hunter had pulled out to call us
    Track was around 16 hours old when we started

Bella followed to hunters hat and was very excited. Found a bit more blood then Tried to pull me through a slash downhill area and before I broke my leg I pulled her left around it at which point she air scented a long way with no sign then head down tracked to the edge of a steep down hill

Before we committed to the slide down we took Bella allll the way back to last blood to restart
    Ran into some sun and dry area scenting conditions, worked through that found more blood. More bad scenting conditions, then more blood including an area where the deer coughed up a large puddle then a speck more blood, then more bad scenting conditions.
    Finally a good downhill stretch and a small smudge of blood

Then out on to a tote road where Bella had too much scent problems.
    We decided to walk the road and if Bella took the crossing where she had gone to the edge of the steep hill we would follow her, if not then we'd quit

Crossed that track and thought well she was not going to care, when head came up and she whipped around and dragged me back and followed nearly exactly her prior path.

Followed the track down the incredibly steep hill and across a swamp and brook.
    We then hit a sun baked dry as a bone scentless area. Worked and worked it and finally took a break. The whole break Bella is uncharacteristically trying to go track

Got up to restart and she dragged me right along. Hunter's friend found a single small dot of blood head high on the deer so likely a nose drip

Then got into scent hell. Bella tried and tried but could not lock on well enough.
    Would have liked to kept at it but by now we had been working this track about 4.5 hours and we were all tired and starving so hung it up
    Most likely a single lung hit
    bellabuck100217.JPG

Short but sweet
    Bella did a short track on a gut shot doe for a hunter we've tracked for before
    Arrow went in perfect for a lung hit but exited just in front of opposite hind leg

Hunter knew the arrow had gone awry and planted arrow at blood sign and did the right thing and left

Bella knew where the doe was on the walk in she was trying to take us uphill before we even got to the stand, but we made her start at hit site and she make short work of the track super accurately

Even though it was short it was perfect

Perfect hunter behavior not pushing a bad arrow hit
    Perfect dog work
    Good job
    Belladoe092817.JPG belladoe092817pic.jpg
    Rob & Diane Richardson
    Georges Mills, NH
    Rob Richardson Art
    Dogs By Diane
    www.frontierrots.com

Win some lose some

Two tracks today

Track one was a "Peace of mind" track

Local Hunter had hit a deer high that morning and only a few drops blood in one spot

We went into this track knowing the result, but were glad to provide peace of mind to a hunter.

Buck had been about 15 yards out the arrow went way high, he bounded off tail up. At the point he stopped the hunter found about 2/3 of the arrow and the only blood, just a few small spots

Bella had a hard time picking up the track. She is trained to follow injured deer- the scent of which is a combination of adrenaline, fear, personal scent and blood. In lightly hit deer they often don't put out enough wounded deer scent. Thus causing Bella to say "not dead"

I cast her about a bit and she checked many deer runs in this oak area. Each time tossing her head saying "not this way"

She picked up a faint scent and followed it around, but I think this was older scent same buck as she gave me the not dead, not right sign so we went back again to the arrow and cast a last time and finally she hit on his exit path. Fresh tracks this buck's size as evidence.

Bella pulled me along and the track went up to the woods at the back of a heavily visited field with apple trees and she indicated that the buck had gone towards a strip of woods that leads to a road crossing, still saying "Not dead mum"-so I called the track.

Deer traveled a half mile from shot site to my calling point.
    lol it's 1/2 mile not 12 as photo shows
    bellabuck101417.JPG

Track two about an hour away, was a gut shot doe, arrowed at 7:30 am and jumped once when they went in four hours later.

Hunter and friend had followed the track with good blood sign about 176 yards to the point they jumped her and a bit beyond that and they flagged it well.

Bella followed the good track well, we got to the last flag and sporadic good blood beyond that. The doe made a sharp left turn and there was one more section of decent blood then it quit.

Bella kept following without hesitation and there was small random blood dots. She got to a low wet area and made a circle. The blood totally ended here. Picked up the doe's exit path from the low area and followed at increasing speed, up to the edge of a deep small rectangular man made pond with steep sides. Bella dove over the edge into the water and I looked up to the other end and there was a pile of junk in the water. Car parts, seats, junk etc..The water was just evil

I got Bella out asap and saw what I thought was the deer in the water, but it could have been a car seat. LOL

Bella and I skirted the bank and as we got closer it was indeed the doe. She was dead in about 6' of water.

The hunter held a tree and managed to grab her ear and he and Rob dragged her up the bank. She was still warm and newly dead.

Rob and hunter dragged her intact back to tree stand area and gutted her then we dragged her to hunter's back yard and completely hosed off and out the deer and hosed Bella and her harness off.

Total distance from tree stand to water hole was 352 yards, so Bella and hunter tracked the same distance. In this 74 degree heat, Bella finding the doe so fast saved the meat.

belladoe101417.JPGbelladoe101417asfound.jpgbelladoepic101417.jpg
    Last edited by frontierrots; 10-15-2017 at 04:41 PM.
    Rob & Diane Richardson
    Georges Mills, NH
    Rob Richardson Art
    Dogs By Diane
    www.frontierrots.com

Two Youth tracks

We received two calls last night for tracks from day one of Youth weekend

First track was local and we prepared to head out in the dark
    Second track sounded like a gut shot so we arranged to meet at first light

Track one was a doe . Her and her Dad had found one spot of blood and called us. Dad is a repeat client.

Bella locked right on to the 2 hour old track and took off on fire. As she led us out into the thick forest we started seeing drops of blood steady at first but tapered off the farther we went.

Bella was totally hot and super accurate on this track! This was our fastest speed track of the year with a top speed of 4.4 mph and an average of 1.86 mph! In the dark!

There were zero beds or other signs of a fatal hit. Deer crossed a road and Bella nailed the crossing.

The deer was heading in a pretty straight line for a farm that is 100% posted and not hunter friendly so when we reached the brook near the property, Rob and the Dad went across to look for convincing sign. They found one miniscule drop blood and otherwise just wet tracks from the deer and a clean jump track where she had hurdled a big puddle. So we gave up the search.

The little hunter was a heck of a trooper as this 1.6 mile track was a heck of a march plus the walk back out
    belladoe102117.JPG
    I arrived on site for the second track just at daylight, fog still covered the cut corn field. The youth hunter and his older brother had tracked the button buck with difficulty to an area of tall weeds where they had jumped it from a bed and it ran straight away into some pine trees. At which point they left him and called me. This was 2:30-3 pm and he was still quite alive. This was a probable gut shot and this choice was the right one to avoid pushing him into the next county but sometimes the right choice does not always work out well.

Bella tracked this nearly bloodless track also incredibly accurately. When she got to the bed they had jumped the buck from yesterday she quickly checked ahead the direction he went then came back and charged through a wire fence. COMPLETELY at right angle to where the buck had last gone.

No blood to confirm but Bella was adamant and we trusted her

Bella charged straight across an open field to more tall weeds on the opposite side

She went up a farm road then suddenly got slow and crept left nose out. I looked over a small rise and there was the button buck. TOTALLY consumed by coyotes. No blood on the ground so they got him after he had died. There was seriously not two handfuls of meat left on this deer. Not even between the ribs! All that was left was head, guts, legs and a very small section of hide on the ground side of him. Amazing!

Bella then wanted to track the coyotes!

528 yard 24 hour old track
    bellabuck102217.JPGIMG_4054[1].jpg

Both tracks Bella was totally top of her game. GOOD GIRL
    Rob & Diane Richardson
    Georges Mills, NH
    Rob Richardson Art
    Dogs By Diane
    www.frontierrots.com

These are great Diane and it sounds like Bella is really becoming a pro.

I used to have a coon hound that was great, but I was really young and didn't absorb everything I should have. So give me your thoughts on a couple things please...as it relates to the dogs. (Feel free to move this to another thread if you want)

1. When I'm scouting, I like to do it when its raining or about to rain, so it can "wash" away the scent. BUT...I remember my dog losing scent on those freshly fallen, and really dry maple leaves...like the conditions we have now. Based on how Bella picks up scent and tracks, and assuming a deer has similar scent abilities, would someone be better off scouting and checking cams when the conditions are really dry? Or would doing it in/before rain be the better way, if a person is trying to not tip off deer to your presence?

2. Are there situations where a bad shot might benefit from getting on the deer right away? I was always told that its best to let a gut shot deer be for a long time. Atleast 4hrs, usually 8. But if its a high shot deer, stay on it to keep it bleeding. Based on all the tracks you've been on, is it always best to "when in doubt, back out" or are there situations where its better to keep the deer on its feet and moving?

#1 while bone dry ifpossible, alternatively right before or during a very heavy rain

#2 gut shot or liver 4 hrs minimum if jump deer again back out for another 2and try again

legs and shoulder blade push and be ready for a long hike and follow up shot

highback shoot it before it regains its feet or say goodbye

everything else half hour minimum.
    depending on your tracking skills, if no or poor blood back out to get human or dog help
    Rob & Diane Richardson
    Georges Mills, NH
    Rob Richardson Art
    Dogs By Diane
    www.frontierrots.com

Quote Originally Posted by frontierrots View Post

highback shoot it before it regains its feet or say goodbye

Yeah, I was afraid you'd say that. I know a lot of people that have put an arrow in that spot, myself included, and never found the deer, even with the aid of a well trained dog.

High back hit video

https://youtu.be/msw5K11YOoE
    Rob & Diane Richardson
    Georges Mills, NH
    Rob Richardson Art
    Dogs By Diane
    www.frontierrots.com

I got way behind sorry
    If people are interested I?ll catch the thread up
    If not anyone who stumbles on this thread can also go to my working class canine page on Facebook
    Rob & Diane Richardson
    Georges Mills, NH
    Rob Richardson Art
    Dogs By Diane
    www.frontierrots.com