Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Today I shot my guide gun and my 35 Remington 20 times each at a moving tire with plywood in the middle. Here is what I learned:

1. The peep sight on my 35 is much nicer than a scope for shooting at a moving target.
    2. The recoil of the guide gun makes it hard to stay on target while shooting. It takes longer to get back on target after the shot.
    3. Marlin lever guns look and feel better without a scope.
    Born to hunt, forced to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Meatseeker View Post
    Thank M, I'll more than likely be ordering it next week.
    Follow your dreams, especially if your dreams are leaving tracks in a fresh 6 in. snowfall!

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Hunter View Post
    Today I shot my guide gun and my 35 Remington 20 times each at a moving tire with plywood in the middle. Here is what I learned:

1. The peep sight on my 35 is much nicer than a scope for shooting at a moving target.
    2. The recoil of the guide gun makes it hard to stay on target while shooting. It takes longer to get back on target after the shot.
    3. Marlin lever guns look and feel better without a scope.
    I agree on all accounts. I have a Winchester 94 in 32 Win Special and the Marlin Guide Gun in 45/70 both with peep sites. Had a scope on the guide gun and didn't like it. Both guns are great point and offer quick target acquisition with the peep sites. But the 32 Win is much easier to keep on target on successive shots

I'm digging the peeps for sure. I have one stand spot that really is better for a scoped rifle. These levers are the only two rifles I have right now. So the scope will stay on the Guide Gun, for now.
    Born to hunt, forced to work.

For me, running shots are rare but can still be made with a scope. I find that some advantages of a scope is magnification of your target and the ability to pick holes or lanes in thick cover that you can get your bullet thru. When I hunt with an open or peep sighted gun it is for nostalgic reasons, ie, "doing it the old school way", rather than for the most effectiveness.
    Last edited by longbow; 08-15-2017 at 08:28 AM.

I mostly hunt a scoped Win Model 70 or scoped Browning xbolt. I use my levers when still hunting in bad weather