Page 28 of 40 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Trap Line

Quote Originally Posted by sneaky_pete000 View Post
    I'll be honest - I was going to comment on that, but I didn't want it to become a self fulfilling prophecy. But the pic totally redeems you....
    I thought for sure you would comment.

I took today off from work to take care of a bunch of errands and purchase a few parts.

As the sun was setting I began working on the truck. Using a floor jack, patience, persistence, and a bunch of 2x4 wood I was able to get the automatic transmission bolted in.

Dangerous as hell but I got that part of the job done.

521A4A9A-5B31-4CD5-96EF-DDB09450E8C6.jpeg
    Leave my rifle, my fishing pole, my traps, and leave me be.

Finished up the transmission swap this evening. I had to make transmission cooler lines out of a roll of 5/16 nickel-copper tubing and have a rear driveshaft made. I replaced the filter and fluid in the transmission as a preventative measure. I was surprised how clean the old fluid was.

My daughter test drove the truck after and I rode passenger. I had her pull over twice so I could adjust the transmission cable. The test drive was the most rewarding part of the job.

This weekend we are to finish the interior.

Hauled two loads of wood this evening and have slightly more than two to haul tomorrow evening.

Attachment 20631
    Last edited by outdoorsman; 10-10-2018 at 03:55 PM.

Looks like good easy splitting wood.

Quote Originally Posted by VTHunter08 View Post
    Looks like good easy splitting wood.
    It does split easy. When I pulled up and saw the diameter of the big stuff I thought I was in for whooping. I was very happy with the first piece I split. I removed three loads today and have to go back for a half load tomorrow.

I’ll have my years supply of wood completed tomorrow evening though I know I’ll be hoarding more wood come fall.

Maybe I missed somewhere in this thread, but how many cords do you go thru in a year? And do you use a maul or machine to split it?

I use a maul and 8 pound sledge hammer on my stuff and typically split as I load the furnace. I have an outdoor furnace which provides all my heat including hot water. I estimate I use 10 cord per year.

I use a hydraulic splitter when splitting for friends. Using a splitter allows me to split smaller and much quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsman View Post
    I use a maul and 8 pound sledge hammer on my stuff and typically split as I load the furnace. I have an outdoor furnace which provides all my heat including hot water. I estimate I use 10 cord per year.

I use a hydraulic splitter when splitting for friends. Using a splitter allows me to split smaller and much quicker.
    Nice. I like outdoor furnaces, just don't want to fork out the money to put one in. I burn about 6-8 cords a year in my indoor wood stove. A lot of dust and dirt, but I only burn a small amount of oil per year, as supplemental to the wood.

I split all my wood with an 8 pound maul. But, I am selective in the wood I choose to split. No knotty crap! Now that my son is 15 he is a big help, although I enjoy doing it. I figure it is a good workout for him in addition to his weight training. Should make him hit the baseball further!
    Last edited by longbow; 06-08-2018 at 01:03 PM.

I purchased my furnace a few years before the prices went through the roof and the emissions stuff started. When I run into overly knotty pieces I lay them on their side and rip them 1/2 to 3/4 then whack the cut with a maul. It takes a very sharp chain to do this method with ease. Otherwise the chain, engine, and bar take undue wear.

Attended the JLCAR hearing today about NHF&G’s proposed rule changes. I’ll leave it at: NH sportspersons need to get involved in the process at public hearings.

After the hearing I checked the N.H. moose lottery results. No NH moose permit for me.

I need to get back to Canada for moose.