Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: 2018 Trap Line

I had this years spike scalped just because... I cut as much meat and hair off as I could and caked Borax on it - after a week I cut off what I could but it needs more work. I wonder if I should boil? Meanwhile I'm just letting it sit with Borax on it to dry it out.

Borax will dry out the spoilable material and prevent bacteria growth. It doesn’t cause material to come off easier.

If you decide to boil, use the method I mentioned above. The water only needs to cover the skull cap and the antler bases. Do not submerge the entire antlers.

Washing soda is key, otherwise the process is a PITA.
    Leave my rifle, my fishing pole, my traps, and leave me be.

Thanks Outdoorsman - I'll pick some up and try it

Went squirrel hunting this morning and made a classic rookie mistake of unloading my rifle as I walked out. About 400 feet from the truck a squirrel stood perfect for me while I loaded my .22 and then ran as I took aim.

Edit: Both photos were taken in the "Big Woods" of Unit M.

8044514C-A236-49F4-AEEF-4DA6E4522ADF.jpeg

A12C2BD8-152A-4930-860F-6034266419F1.jpeg
    Last edited by outdoorsman; 11-26-2017 at 05:33 PM.

Had the last hour of light to use for hunting purposes this evening and headed out to a deer stand I had seen a number of squirrels running around. Needless to say didn’t see any squirrels. Had a few birds fly inches by me though.

Beautiful place to watch the sun light fade away:

748B81CB-143E-410D-A001-76CFA33AB7BA.jpeg
    Last edited by outdoorsman; 11-28-2017 at 06:29 PM.

Default Fisher Season

Fisher opened December 1st. I made a cubby set behind my house where I?ve had very good luck the last few years. So far no captures though.

I bought a second battery tray for my 2500HD to add electrical storage while plowing. Spent the evening turning wrenches under the bright light of a headlamp. Was able to use the battery cables out of the 87 parts truck I purchased for the other truck. The install came out well and has doubled my cold cranking amps from 800 to 1600.

The engine turns over fast now!

FBB54457-9C2C-461B-BC61-8986F83F81B5.jpeg

Placed a game camera watching my fisher set. So far I’ve photographed mice eating a lot of beaver meat. Little rascals have eaten an entire thigh. I rebaited but have no skunky life at the site so there are low odds of success. I’m having fun with the camera and really do not care if I catch any fisher this year.

Fingers crossed for some cold weather to start the chase of under ice beavers.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsman View Post
    Placed a game camera watching my fisher set. So far I’ve photographed mice eating a lot of beaver meat. Little rascals have eaten an entire thigh. I rebaited but have no skunky life at the site so there are low odds of success. I’m having fun with the camera and really do not care if I catch any fisher this year.

Fingers crossed for some cold weather to start the chase of under ice beavers.
    I walked onto a really small pond yesterday, and as I stood there thinking it was almost all the way froze over after that downpour Tuesday night, 3 very nice beavers surfaced. Your thread makes me want to get back into trapping. Someday, if time becomes a little more available, I think I might. All my old traps are still hanging in the chicken house waiting for me....