Page 26 of 40 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Trap Line

Quote Originally Posted by Grandkid View Post
    He has just a few scant hours.....if your plan works.

Good luck. I'd sit behind that camera.

Roger-
    Thank you for the encouragement. I sat 40 yards away from the cam. Thought about sitting in my deer stand.

Last evening I heard one gobble about 500 yards away and I thought I’d have a good chance this morning. After running a few errands I sat down at the computer and purchased my turkey license around 9PM. I my alarm for 4:15AM and passed out around 10.

I slept well and sprang to my feet when the alarm sounded. Grabbed my gear, walked to the power line at 4:30AM and was surprised to hear him gobble. I could easily locate the area he was in and surprised he wasn’t using a set of tall pines. He was roosted nearly in someone’s front yard.

He would gobble every ten minutes or so until about 5:30AM then he repeatedly gobbled for about 5 minutes. After that it was silence. I called lightly and received no response.

As I looked out I began to see a faint object moving in a yard, she was obscured by brush. At 400 yards away I watched her walk across a yard towing him along. He gobbled twice over a 20 minute period following her exact path. She pulled him across a street and behind some houses.

I then picked up my gear, walked the short distance back to my house, let the cat in, and sat down to a bowl of yogurt and oats.

Maybe another day.
    Leave my rifle, my fishing pole, my traps, and leave me be.

Ok nice attempt. You should try him again. Owl hoot to locate in the dark then move in as close as you dare. Like within 60-70 yards. Be quiet and let the woods settle. Let him gobble them give him some soft tree yelps, a fly down cackle then some light scratching in the leaves to get his attention. He'll come and land in your lap or run you over.

Good luck----Shoot straight!

Keep us posted.

Roger-

Quote Originally Posted by Grandkid View Post
    Ok nice attempt. You should try him again. Owl hoot to locate in the dark then move in as close as you dare. Like within 60-70 yards. Be quiet and let the woods settle. Let him gobble them give him some soft tree yelps, a fly down cackle then some light scratching in the leaves to get his attention. He'll come and land in your lap or run you over.

Good luck----Shoot straight!

Keep us posted.

Roger-
    I’m thinking I should shoot the SOB out of the tree or take out my 243 with a varmint grenade and pick the bastard off at 300 yards.

That’s a joke and I do know both scenarios are unlawful.

He is actually growing on me and I don’t have a huge desire to succeed at hunting him. Co-workers are busting on me about that.

Later in the morning I ran into a hunter hunting another power line. I let the hunter know this birds pattern which means the hunter will get this bird or push it my way in the coming days.

Took a quick walk this morning in the small piece of woods the turkeys went into yesterday. There was zero turkey sign. Yesterday’s travel may have been a fluke.

Here today gone tomorrow. Every morning is different.

Roger-

Stats:

Not the bird Iíve been watching.

18 pounds
    3/4 inch spurs
    9.25 inch beard

Story went:

Woke up this morning with a list of chores to get done. At 5 AM I walked onto the porch to listen for a gobble to hear song birds only.

I waited an hour and couldnít take the list of things to do anymore. Headed out front, fueled my chainsaw, walked out to the power line, notched a tree, dropped it, bucked it, moved it with the 580, then bucked it more at the wood splitter. By 9AM, with two long disturbances l, I had the truck loaded. By 10AM the load was delivered and I was off to visit a friend.

And, so the hunt began. On my way home at 10:30 ish I looked into a field to see what I thought was a Jake dealing with the rain. I continued home, unloaded my chainsaw gear and quickly decided to try for the turkey. I grabbed my 870, three shells, and my hunting coat. Fortunately my coat had a box call and gobble call in the pocket. Around 10:50 AM I was back onsite to see he was still in the field. The field has a hedge row next to a power line running the length. I decided to slowly and quietly walk up the power line access road. Once I figured I was about 100 yards from the birds location I stopped and began softly calling from behind a large bush. I saw his head pop up and he wanted to come in but stopped at the field edge.

As a kid, I helped hay the field and knew there was a drainage ditch along the hedge row. While thinking about and looking towards the hedge row area closest to me I lost sight of the bird. I quickly decided to crawl to a bush 20 yards to my left in the direction of the hedgerow. At my new location I slowly stood up but could not see the bird. I called some more but nothing showed or responded.

Rain was coming down, everything was wet, and walking was silent. I decided to slowly walk to the hedge row at a 90 degree angle from where the bird was. Once at the hedge row I turned 90 degrees to my right and began slowly walking the hedge row. Seeing nothing with each step I thought for sure the bird had decided things were off.

The drainage ditch began to have a lot of water and was 4 feet wide as I closed the distance to 40 yards from where the bird was.

Then out an area of whips he appeared. Now it was evident to me he was looking for a place to cross to get over to me. Though, my presence caused him to seek getting out of dodge and was on a full run at 30 yards, cutting the field to my left. I placed my head on him and let it fly. I cut some brush but found my target perfectly.

This was the strangest turkey hunt Iíve ever been on. Todayís rain changed the game in many ways.

490A0F2A-5976-450E-93C9-02BA7E818476.jpeg

Attachment 20529

1DC5741C-F1F7-4043-B28D-B58EE68EB277.jpeg

9833C841-A593-4F4B-ABDB-99F40BD006F1.jpeg
    Last edited by outdoorsman; 10-10-2018 at 03:52 PM.

Nice hunt. Congratulations on the bird. They are all fun. That other one will wear on you.......

Roger-

I received a call for some nuisance beaver work and looked at the site tonight. The sign was old and seemed the beavers already moved on.

Had time to split a 1/2 cord as the sun was setting.

Attachment 20554
    Last edited by outdoorsman; 10-10-2018 at 03:53 PM.

Investigated another nuisance beaver location and caught one last night. A head lamp lighted picture was the best I could do.

410B7145-B941-4B42-AAA2-994B1CAD560B.jpeg
    Last edited by outdoorsman; 05-11-2018 at 09:16 PM.

The large tom has moved on. I have not heard any shots and havenít seen him for a week. There is a hen hanging around and Iím hopeful she has nested.

Picked up a pick up load of firewood yesterday and one this morning. Takes me 40 minutes to load the truck and 30 minutes of driving. Itís a great morning activity.

Attachment 20560
    Last edited by outdoorsman; 10-10-2018 at 03:54 PM.