Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334

Thread: 2018 Trap Line

I start with the old 039 but by the time I hit the end of the pile, I'm using my 310 because its just so much lighter.

For the past two years I’ve been patiently watching for a Ford F-350 or F-450 7.3 Powerstroke 4x4 and preferably crew cab. Over time I learned a 7.3 crew cab brings more than I’m willing to part with.

Tuesday morning a 1999 F-350 7.3 4x4 popped up for sale online. The price was right and the needed repairs were in my ability range. I was the first person with true intent of buying the truck. It is a 141” wheel base cab & chassis model with a 6 speed manual transmission 4x4. The transmission had destroyed the tail housing after months of driving with a loose pinion.

I removed the bed today and disassembled the rear end. Reassembling the rear end is going to be a fun experience. The pinion uses shims for preload unlike crush collars used in smaller rear ends. I’ll need to use a torque multiplier to achieve the 450 foot pounds of pressure.

The tarqnsmision tail housing is in transit from Washington State to NH as I type.

Starting point:

E3C713D1-C11A-4AAA-B927-BB75C1741F46.jpeg

Progress:
    C1F1B2D4-E7D1-483E-9EE1-82F93FAB0E5A.jpeg

SF6: (ouch)
    B1A2C010-DE75-4E5D-80FC-725547EF2EDB.jpeg

Dana 80 11.25”
    DF2B385A-CFEE-46D3-A5D3-C6CA2C88E538.jpeg

4.10 Gear Ratio:
    D86B75F1-CDED-4757-B592-39AC91F199FB.jpeg
    Leave my rifle, my fishing pole, my traps, and leave me be.

Nice work Outdoorsman. You sure do keep busy. Good luck this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Mountains View Post
    Nice work Outdoorsman. You sure do keep busy. Good luck this fall.
    Thanks NH Mountains. Iíve been too busy and need to ratchet up my progress to keep from impeding on this falls hunting and winter trapping. A positive note is Iím achieving my goals and I have a huge pile of firewood.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsman View Post
    Thanks NH Mountains. I’ve been too busy and need to ratchet up my progress to keep from impeding on this falls hunting and winter trapping. A positive note is I’m achieving my goals and I have a huge pile of firewood.
    I finished up with my firewood a couple weeks ago. 8 cord for camp. 2 for my inlaws and 4 cord for home. I just have two wheelbarrow loads at home left to split and stack but, I haven't finished yet. Maybe tomorrow. I got around 60 apple trees and 50 chestnuts growing at home that I still have to plant this fall or get ready to over winter.

Wow! You’ve handled more wood than I have. Cordage May be similar but I’m not splitting nearly as small as you have.

Went to a nearby town auto parts store for a pinion seal this morning and had to order it. Tech said it would be there by 3PM. Went back at 3:30, no seal! GRRRR. I took a refund, came home, ordered a name brand seal 50% cheaper and shipped to my house. I wanted to support a local store but there’s is a limit considering the cost of driving to and from multiple times.

I hope beaver prices come up this winter or plowing hours trickle in.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsman View Post
    Wow! You’ve handled more wood than I have. Cordage May be similar but I’m not splitting nearly as small as you have.

Went to a nearby town auto parts store for a pinion seal this morning and had to order it. Tech said it would be there by 3PM. Went back at 3:30, no seal! GRRRR. I took a refund, came home, ordered a name brand seal 50% cheaper and shipped to my house. I wanted to support a local store but there’s is a limit considering the cost of driving to and from multiple times.

I hope beaver prices come up this winter or plowing hours trickle in.
    Keep an eye on the oil pan of that 7.3. They are prone to rust, and I believe the engine has to be pulled to replace the oil pan.
    Born to hunt, forced to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Hunter View Post
    Keep an eye on the oil pan of that 7.3. They are prone to rust, and I believe the engine has to be pulled to replace the oil pan.
    You’re spot on. The engine is pulled to replace the pan. It’s a beast of an engine weight wise making the job a PITA. Luckily this engine has a very clean pan. I’m going to heavily coat the underside and engine bottom with fluid film as I wrap up the transmission / rear end repairs.

I had some time to check pinion depth and backlash this evening. 0.006 backlash was the final outcome with some shim swapping. The wear pattern suggest pinion depth is in the acceptable range.

5DD84063-FEB2-4147-91C6-9F57426169AD.jpeg