Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Trap Line

Work had me traveling to Pennsylvania this week which was an adventure in itself. I rode the bus to Boston Monday morning for a 9 AM flight to Pittsburgh PA. Once in Pittsburgh I drove a rental car to a town in Elk County for the 3 day event.

The meeting place was remote with zero cell coverage making for productive days.

Tuesday evening we went to Benezette where the elk viewing center is. PA elk are Rutting hard now and the center has a number of habituated animals. I was able to watch an 8x9 bugle, rub his antlers on the ground, and lay in a pit he created while 2 cows grazed nearby. A few hundred yards away was another bull bugling and herding about a dozen cows.

Monday 6AM in Boston:

IMG_99.jpg

Pennsylvania elk:

IMG_96.jpg
    Leave my rifle, my fishing pole, my traps, and leave me be.

Quite an enjoyable read. Well put together with pics. I can relate to the metal fab myself.
    Thanks.

Thanks Bigrak!

Knowing you have mechanical skills you should enjoy the following.

Fifteen years ago I took in a 48" Lesco walk behind mower as payment for removing some problem trees. The mower had been gone through but was tired. I really didn't care as I took the mower knowing someday I'd need a mower and I could keep it running.

I parked the mower under cover where it sat for 7 years. The tires went flat over time and the fuel went steal. Around 2009 I needed that mower; walked over to it, aired up the tires, drained and replaced the fuel.

Three pulls later the mower was running and off to mowing I went. The engine burned oil but I never cared and simply added oil when needed.

Well, about three weeks ago I couldn't get it running, pulled the air cleaner, dumped some gas in the carb and three pulls later it fired up. I thought it was strange but gave it all no major thought.

That's until the next time I went to start it. It wouldn't start with gas down the carb nor starter fluid. I chalked it up to a piston ring issue given knowing it's oil consumption. I pulled the head to find it had two stacked head gaskets and a major head gasket leak. At the same time I pushed on the valves and noticed slight movement but dismissed the valves. For sure I thought the gasket leak was my problem.

I put the engine back together with one head gasket thinking I'd be good to go. Twenty pulls later- tired and not so good off.

After much thought and considering a replacement engine, those damn valves kept popping in my mind. I tore the engine down to find zero valve clearance between the stem and lifter. According to online sources spec is 3-7 thousandths.

Using screw drivers as pry bars I was able to remove both valves. From there out came the calipers and a mill file!

Twelve thousandths off the valve stem had me in the ballpark and off to reassembly I went. An hour later, three pulls and it was running!

Now, this is trapping related because the muffler is missing a stud and hangs incorrectly when not adjusted. Adjusted ??

Trapping wire through a bolt hole into the adjoining mount "adjust" the problem. Love me some trapping wire! (Heavy duty mechanics wire)

She's got the looks:

IMG_123.jpg
    Last edited by outdoorsman; 09-18-2017 at 06:44 PM.

I'm continuing to take squirrels around the house. I'm around a total of 10 and they're on to me big time.

Finally put the game camera out over a food plot I plant every year. With the abundance of acorns it should be interesting to see how effective the plot is this coming season.

I was relaxing on my porch when suddenly a squirrel began barking close by. Taking every opportunity I can to add meat to the freezer I quietly rushed into the house for my .22 and two quarters. From there I headed out to the forest edge, made myself comfortable, and began tapping the quarters (squirrel call). Within seconds the squirrel appeared searching for who was eating a tasty nut. A well placed shot added him to my squirrel stash.

After processing the squirrel I walked out to a doe and fawn standing in my driveway. I pretended I didn't see them and turned around. From my second, hidden, vantage plot I watched the doe lead the fawn away in a hurried sneaking fashion.

IMG_223.jpg

IMG_254.jpgHad some hours to spare yesterday evening and decided to drive passed the forest fire in NH's mountains then look for moose.

Saw three moose and challenged one to a skirmish. He was game until he walked down wind. At that point he changed course in a prompt run.
    Last edited by outdoorsman; 10-08-2017 at 02:49 PM.

Took my 50 caliber MDM Buck Wacka out of the safe for a few shots to check the scope. First shot was in the red while the second shot was 1.5 inches right at 45 yards. I pulled the second shot and knew I was off. After two shots I could call I put the beast in the corner. Using a scope with a muzzleloader is odd to me though I have to accept its use given how much more accurate I am using it.

I pour my Maxi-Hunters using a TC mold; a real TC (One made in Rochester NH). Downing deer with a self pored bullet adds some nostalgia to the hunt and gives me some peace of mind while using a scope.

Looking forward to this weekend and hoping I can get in my stand for the last hour or so each day. Unfortunately I have to work Saturday and Sunday. Can’t really complain because it is sweet duty with a lot of good company and laughs.

Used Target: (Previos shots marked)
    053BBB18-DDE3-44D3-96C4-3DD545D20043.jpeg
    Last edited by outdoorsman; 11-28-2017 at 08:54 PM.

Default Plowing contract

Picked up a plowing contract and will be having the Chevy earning its keep this winter. Knowing I will be expected to move snow quickly and efficiently, I decided to add a rubber deflector to act as a snowfoil. Conveyor belts from rock crushers work best however I no longer have a contact at the local quarry. I came up with the thought of using a 1/2 inch thick stall mat from Tractor Supply cut at 9 inches.

Time will tell if it was money well spent.

CEF6EFF1-5DFD-4100-B629-CABF69D8E705.jpeg
    Last edited by outdoorsman; 10-25-2017 at 05:15 PM.

Default Deer Down

Had a trying day with all the downed trees and diversions while trying to get my work done. Persistence got me through it all and with 15 minutes of daylight left I decided to walk into my stand on the edge of a power line.

It?s a two minute walk from the truck to the stand making it a easy spot to slip in unnoticed. At 6:05 I saw movement to my right and instantly cocked my Muzzleloader. The first to come out was a doe followed by a smaller deer.

Knowing I had only minutes of light left I took the first standing broadside shot she offered. She mule kicked, tucked tail, and ran off to the races. At 100 yards I lost site in the sea of brown though positively heard her crash a second after.

The jump/kick reaction made me think heart shot but when I found her the high entry made me think high lung. Turned out to be a little of one lung and the heart. Bummed me out that I ruined the heart though I am happy to have a deer.

An ATV made short work of the drag. My daughter and I made the trip to the registration station with her truck. I lost light so fast that I have very few pictures.

Shot her using an MDM with a self poured 350 grain Maxi-Hunter. A Rochester NH mold
    where the best T/C firearms were made.

Chevy at work:

BB4905F7-02E7-4410-8F98-CABB80EBC05E.jpeg

Default Sleepless Night

With an abundance of house hold chores to complete and a heavy desire to continue hunting I took a vacation day today. Though I previously commented I wasn?t going to buy M tags this year there was a cool September day where I couldn?t accept the idea of not giving hunting a 100% effort and I bought the tags. With that said yesterday?s doe was M tagged.

By 2:45 PM today I found myself walking into a piece destined for a specific tree over looking a wet meadow from a high perched ridge line. As the wind blew I walked, wind stopped, I stopped. It didn?t take long to get to my tree. Upon arrival I peered out into the meadow and instantly recognized a brown object that didn?t fit. Suddenly I made out a bedded deer, the neck, the head, and antlers!

I stayed out at the base of the tree, with my climber strapped on my back, and the muzzleloader trained on the buck. After 10 minutes I realized all hell wasnt going to break loose. I wouldn?t have to hail marry a shot through a mess of branches and realized I better come up with a plan.

The wind was switching directions over and over so I took the chance to climb the tree and successfully pulled it off. Once perched I watched this buck for three hours. He groomed, stood once, fed, and laid back down. At 5:30 he stood, walked to some brush, browsed, then began rubbing his antlers. Slowly he walked my way, turned, and offered me one hard quartering away shot. With out hesitation I fired. He reacted very odd, much like a far back hit.

I reloaded and followed him with the scope into dense brush. I climbed down after a few minutes and to my surprise he was still standing and bolted. There was fairly good blood but not what I would call great blood.
    Last edited by outdoorsman; 11-28-2017 at 08:58 PM.