Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Trap Line

Default 2018 Trap Line

Though we are in 2017 I figured it would be best to call this thread 2018. I also figured a trapping log doesn't fit under Hunting Logs, so here it is.

Preparations have begun for 2018, most notably repurposing my beast of a plow is making excellent progress. The to be color changed a few times but is locked in at dark green. We bought the paint so there's no going back now.

Winter 2017:

IMG_1272.jpg

Late July 2017:

IMG_1631.jpg

With the changes comes a new plow set up for the Silverado. I'm forced to upgrade to a minute mount. Luckily I found a MM1 3 plug system. It came with a 8' plow and I am changing it out to a 9'. The 9' blade I found was in rough shape requiring re-facing. I used a Husqvarna cut saw I bought off Ebay (I rebuilt the cut off saw because that too was in rough shape - mostly spare parts for that matter) to remove the rotted face along with a rugged grinder. I didn't take before pics but trust me when I say the plow was bad.

Plow:

IMG_1628.jpg

Oil tank (To be the new face - fingers crossed I can man handle the curve into shape)

IMG_1627.jpg

I did get a call for a nuisance beaver job. I heavily dis-like taking beaver outside the open season but had no choice in the matter.

Trap site:

IMG_1629.jpg

7.5" Foothold set and ready to be placed:

IMG_1630.jpg

I have caught two beaver and will be happy to not catch any more until after hunting season ends.
    Leave my rifle, my fishing pole, my traps, and leave me be.

Looking forward to following this log this season!
    Born to hunt, forced to work.

Excellent! Its good to hear others enjoy the adventure.

I was able to cut the tank this late afternoon. It cut a lot easier than I expected with taking me just a half hour to lay it out, then cut.

I did a burn test of removed sludge and found it to have a very high ignition point before starting the cutoff saw.

Safety First!:

IMG_1652.jpg

Test fit: Pretty damn good by me.

IMG_1653.jpg

I'm going to leave the bungs in the other sheet (welded closed and ground smooth on the front) to prove my handy work.

Good stuff, enjoy the look in on the trapline and prep. Looks like one of my father-in-laws truck projects.

Keep the stories and photos coming Outdoorsman . Some day before I pass on I hope to take the NH trapping class. The stars haven't aligned yet for me.

Can't wait. Last years was a great read.
    I love it when a plan comes together!

good idea on the burn test

The burn test was indeed needed. Last thing I wanted was to blow myself up and second to that I am really pinching pennies on this project and wanted to avoid buying CO2 gas or dry ice.

Was able to get the face tacked in this evening. I was tempted to weld right into the night to avoid the hot sun but my little 110 welder doesn't need a marathon. I'm using flux core set at the highest output the welder has.

In a few weeks I'll post some pics of speed dipping my beaver traps. I like doing that on a cool dry day as the sun angles begin changing signaling time to get moving hard for winters prep.

Pictures or it didn't happen:

IMG_1665.jpg

IMG_1666.jpg

IMG_1667.jpg
    Last edited by outdoorsman; 08-09-2017 at 07:53 PM.

Was able to get the bungholes welded up this afternoon. I'd say the situation is trapping related as I used 11 gauge wire I normally secure traps with. In this case I cut pieces to weld on as handles. Works awesome and makes a great ground holder. The project has made me quite efficient with the Husky cut off saw. I cut the circle plugs with it!

Should have it painted this weekend. Evening work is out of the question today as I need to go into work for an evening event.

IMG_1678.jpg

IMG_1681.jpg

IMG_1680.jpg

IMG_1682.jpg

Was able to get some painting on my daughters truck done today. The 9' plow is all welded and ready for paint. I used 4 small 110 flux core rolls of wire. Put that little welder through its paces. I have to wash the plow real good before painting it.

Was able to put transmission lines and a power steering cooler in the red Chevy today as well.

Paint:

IMG_1708.jpg

Plow progress:

IMG_1709.jpg