Page 36 of 40 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Trap Line

Odd work day today in that I started at 5 AM which put me out around 1 PM. I came home and cut some filthy wood until my chain was too dull to be efficient.

After that I spun five loops of 72 drive link 3/8 chain from my bulk roll. I was surprised to see Im more than half way through the roll.

Attachment 20929

6D50E627-8BD0-409D-9687-964DBFF86276.jpeg

4FC97BA3-1F22-40CF-83A9-DCE7EA16847B.jpeg
    Last edited by outdoorsman; 10-10-2018 at 04:00 PM.
    Leave my rifle, my fishing pole, my traps, and leave me be.

Chasing a few beaver this weekend to work at mitigating a flooded road issue.

DF71F2BD-7F95-4210-AE38-5E0B56F68FF8.jpeg

I trapped two beavers last night. One was caught in a MB750 foothold and the other in a belisle 330. Based on sign I suspect these are the only two in the immediate area. I sure hope so.

C01587A8-34CB-46A8-BAF4-08B12B613AD6.jpeg

Came home from the woods to remove and replace an axle which had a bent flange. It was about .030 of run out which translated to over a 1/4 of wobble at the tires edge.

Attachment 20958

Pressing wheel studs:
    4CDB3AC8-0BF1-440D-89DC-40ACA9E01252.jpeg

88F0C9C5-A298-48F5-BF4D-DC90C243C920.jpeg
    Last edited by outdoorsman; 10-10-2018 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Correction of auto correction.

Couple of nice 'plump' beavers there. Great pics as always.

Quote Originally Posted by NY Hunter View Post
    Couple of nice 'plump' beavers there. Great pics as always.
    They sure were heavy. They made good ballast on my short canoe trip.

I was able to get out and sit for bear this evening. I stopped at the grocery store on my ride over and picked up anise extract, vanilla extract, and molasses. Smells pretty good mixed like that.

No bear!

Attachment 20970

No beavers in my traps this morning, none of the poplar bait was disturbed, and one beaver dam I lowered remained untouched. I worked myself out of a job in one night and very happy I did so.

That beaver swamp looks very familiar. Thanks for taking the water level down off the road if it's the spot I think it is.
    "The rich who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, these are the real enemies of the game" Theodore Roosevelt's the principals of the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsman View Post
    They sure were heavy. They made good ballast on my short canoe trip.

I was able to get out and sit for bear this evening. I stopped at the grocery store on my ride over and picked up anise extract, vanilla extract, and molasses. Smells pretty good mixed like that.

No bear!

Attachment 20970
    So I was wondering...you used some “scents” while sitting and waiting for a bear to be attracted. Is that considered baiting or what? I always thought that a “bait” was something the bear could ingest or eat...if you had a rag hanging from a tree branch with your store bought liquids smeared on it is this considered a bait site? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by mowbizz View Post
    So I was wondering...you used some “scents” while sitting and waiting for a bear to be attracted. Is that considered baiting or what? I always thought that a “bait” was something the bear could ingest or eat...if you had a rag hanging from a tree branch with your store bought liquids smeared on it is this considered a bait site? Just curious.
    Nope. Not until it's ingested as you said, so a hunter wouldn't want to leave the rag. It's the same idea as a scent bomb covered in doe urine while deer hunting.
    "The rich who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, these are the real enemies of the game" Theodore Roosevelt's the principals of the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Hunter View Post
    Nope. Not until it's ingested as you said, so a hunter wouldn't want to leave the rag. It's the same idea as a scent bomb covered in doe urine while deer hunting.
    Thanks! I have these “smoke sticks” that claim “13 miles of dead fish” lol
    I guess it’s okay to use these then! (Without a bait site permit)