Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 2018 Trap Line

Work had me traveling to Pennsylvania this week which was an adventure in itself. I rode the bus to Boston Monday morning for a 9 AM flight to Pittsburgh PA. Once in Pittsburgh I drove a rental car to a town in Elk County for the 3 day event.

The meeting place was remote with zero cell coverage making for productive days.

Tuesday evening we went to Benezette where the elk viewing center is. PA elk are Rutting hard now and the center has a number of habituated animals. I was able to watch an 8x9 bugle, rub his antlers on the ground, and lay in a pit he created while 2 cows grazed nearby. A few hundred yards away was another bull bugling and herding about a dozen cows.

Monday 6AM in Boston:

IMG_99.jpg

Pennsylvania elk:

IMG_96.jpg
    Leave my rifle, my fishing pole, my traps, and leave me be.

Quite an enjoyable read. Well put together with pics. I can relate to the metal fab myself.
    Thanks.

Thanks Bigrak!

Knowing you have mechanical skills you should enjoy the following.

Fifteen years ago I took in a 48" Lesco walk behind mower as payment for removing some problem trees. The mower had been gone through but was tired. I really didn't care as I took the mower knowing someday I'd need a mower and I could keep it running.

I parked the mower under cover where it sat for 7 years. The tires went flat over time and the fuel went steal. Around 2009 I needed that mower; walked over to it, aired up the tires, drained and replaced the fuel.

Three pulls later the mower was running and off to mowing I went. The engine burned oil but I never cared and simply added oil when needed.

Well, about three weeks ago I couldn't get it running, pulled the air cleaner, dumped some gas in the carb and three pulls later it fired up. I thought it was strange but gave it all no major thought.

That's until the next time I went to start it. It wouldn't start with gas down the carb nor starter fluid. I chalked it up to a piston ring issue given knowing it's oil consumption. I pulled the head to find it had two stacked head gaskets and a major head gasket leak. At the same time I pushed on the valves and noticed slight movement but dismissed the valves. For sure I thought the gasket leak was my problem.

I put the engine back together with one head gasket thinking I'd be good to go. Twenty pulls later- tired and not so good off.

After much thought and considering a replacement engine, those damn valves kept popping in my mind. I tore the engine down to find zero valve clearance between the stem and lifter. According to online sources spec is 3-7 thousandths.

Using screw drivers as pry bars I was able to remove both valves. From there out came the calipers and a mill file!

Twelve thousandths off the valve stem had me in the ballpark and off to reassembly I went. An hour later, three pulls and it was running!

Now, this is trapping related because the muffler is missing a stud and hangs incorrectly when not adjusted. Adjusted ??

Trapping wire through a bolt hole into the adjoining mount "adjust" the problem. Love me some trapping wire! (Heavy duty mechanics wire)

She's got the looks:

IMG_123.jpg
    Last edited by outdoorsman; 09-18-2017 at 06:44 PM.

I'm continuing to take squirrels around the house. I'm around a total of 10 and they're on to me big time.

Finally put the game camera out over a food plot I plant every year. With the abundance of acorns it should be interesting to see how effective the plot is this coming season.

I was relaxing on my porch when suddenly a squirrel began barking close by. Taking every opportunity I can to add meat to the freezer I quietly rushed into the house for my .22 and two quarters. From there I headed out to the forest edge, made myself comfortable, and began tapping the quarters (squirrel call). Within seconds the squirrel appeared searching for who was eating a tasty nut. A well placed shot added him to my squirrel stash.

After processing the squirrel I walked out to a doe and fawn standing in my driveway. I pretended I didn't see them and turned around. From my second, hidden, vantage plot I watched the doe lead the fawn away in a hurried sneaking fashion.

IMG_223.jpg

IMG_254.jpgHad some hours to spare yesterday evening and decided to drive passed the forest fire in NH's mountains then look for moose.

Saw three moose and challenged one to a skirmish. He was game until he walked down wind. At that point he changed course in a prompt run.
    Last edited by outdoorsman; 10-08-2017 at 02:49 PM.