Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Trap Line

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsman View Post
    Very nice! I need to pay some attention to my 1 year old tandem axle car trailer.
    The wheels are fine but the way the ramps store under the deck and winter road salt invites rust to fester.
    A wire brush and some black rustoleum should fix it up...thanks for the reminder!

Quote Originally Posted by mowbizz View Post
    Very nice! I need to pay some attention to my 1 year old tandem axle car trailer.
    The wheels are fine but the way the ramps store under the deck and winter road salt invites rust to fester.
    A wire brush and some black rustoleum should fix it up...thanks for the reminder!
    Look into a product called FLuid Film. Some auto parts stores carry spray cans which are more costly per ounce but the stuff works good. After you paint your ramps, and they’ve dried a day or so, spray a light coat of fluid film on them and the underside of your trailer. A little gos a long ways.

Keep in mind the stuff is slippery until it dissipates some (days/weeks).

https://www.fluid-film.com/automotive-applications/
    Leave my rifle, my fishing pole, my traps, and leave me be.

Took Friday off from work to hike Huntington Ravine. The sign picture sums it up well. I was amazed how much of the wall was climbed on my hands and feet. There were places I did not look back nor look down. Forward was the theme of the day.

FEE42422-FDF3-4783-85D1-A0F442B3A72C.jpeg

B6BC0114-3CC5-4B70-A4EB-50620630F615.jpeg

5D1807A8-6D5E-4C5B-957D-C26C26C9C5DB.jpeg

Leaving Pinkham Notch I pulled up to a moose standing on Rte 16 with a crowd of people who didn’t know how to handle themselves safely around Wildlife. Thankfully a NH state trooper was on site to keep people in line. The troopers presence alone changed peoples behavior as the officer walked onto the scene.
    5669043E-2786-4CB7-A3A4-2D6856E3FCED.jpeg

I picked up a cord or so of free wood this evening. The homeowner seemed a little surprised I wanted to cut wood in the rain. I’d rather cut wood in a rainstorm over an 80+ degree sunny summer day. I had to call it quits when the lawn started becoming soft. Luckily the trailer was full by that time.

I dulled my chain pretty good in the process. I didn’t know how well I did the chain in until I was home. Tomorrow evening I’ll empty the trailer and sharpen my 372. Thursday I’m back at it and going to break out the old Husqvarna 2101. That should liven up the neighborhood when it begins barking.

09CEB8E2-0C92-426B-8F45-7187A7E1CC0E.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsman View Post
    Look into a product called FLuid Film. Some auto parts stores carry spray cans which are more costly per ounce but the stuff works good. After you paint your ramps, and they’ve dried a day or so, spray a light coat of fluid film on them and the underside of your trailer. A little gos a long ways.

Keep in mind the stuff is slippery until it dissipates some (days/weeks).

https://www.fluid-film.com/automotive-applications/
    I’ve been using fluid film for years (had a mowing business) and used it on my equipment.
    Good idea, thanks for another reminder...kinda forgot about it since I retired...

Fired up the old Swedish muscle saw ( 2101) to buck and rip a red oak stem that starts at 40” in diameter and tapers to about 30”. Once ripped in half I am able to get my 6 pound maul to sink in. From there it’s a hit or two with a 8 pound sledge and then those quarters are split.

The 2101 has tons of torque but it’s weight and lower RPM really makes me appreciate my 372.

The homeowner helped me load wood yesterday by wheel barrowing wood 200 feet and loading it on the trailer. We made awesome time but I think he became a little tuckered and suddenly had inside chores to do. Needless to say he wasn’t home today when I went back for more wood.

Looks like I’ll end up with about 3 cords of wood by the end. It’s big stuff and requires work which many don’t want to do.

No pictures yesterday or today. Maybe Monday.

If everything goes as planned this weekend it appears my daughter and I will be hiking success mountain to see the plane crash from the 1950s.

I’ll get pictures of that if we make the hike happen.
    Last edited by outdoorsman; 07-20-2018 at 09:31 PM.

We didn’t make it to Success last weekend. So that’s now going to happen another weekend.

My daughter and I cut some wood this evening. Roughly 3/4 of a cord. The homeowner has young children and the noise and excitement keeps them from wanting to settle down for the night. Therefore I cut from 6 to 7 then shutdown.

I’m sitting on my porch, out of the setting sun, allowing my sweat to dissipate. I’m soaked head to toe.

988F7EAB-5766-48D6-849F-59C5AAE9E3DB.jpeg

I like that Y piece your maul is leaning on. Save that one for a cool October morning....

Also, I have those same chaps. I hate them. Something about how the belt fits, I always end up stopping to adjust. I think I might have to move to a set with suspenders.

A man with a ton of experience notices stuff like that.

I find myself pulling the top belt up often as well. While cutting I was looking at that fork with thought of how the hell am I going to cut, turn, and split that. I decided to stop thinking and do what I have to do when I get there.

This evenings job is two 20+ foot logs closer to the road and slightly less diameter. Looks to be about a cord in the two logs. I’ll be learning exactly what it is in 6 hours.

This source of wood is twice the workout of the average gym day, it’s putting money in my pocket, and I’m having fun doing it.