Page 18 of 40 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Trap Line

I didn’t bring my phone with me on today’s check so no pictures to share. I did catch one two year old beaver.
    Leave my rifle, my fishing pole, my traps, and leave me be.

Default Go For It...

Yesterday I thought about deactivating the traps to avoid having to canoe in todays weather. Ultimately I decided to man up and run the traps. After all, to make catches, a person has to run through the bad to get to the good.

Paddling out, against the wind, was a test of endurance and patience. I had another two year old beaver which was worth the paddle. The wind was a bonus on the return.

One picture- left the phone in the truck.
    Last edited by outdoorsman; 10-10-2018 at 03:48 PM.

Paddled out to the sets this morning through some heavy wind. It was slow getting to the sets but lighting fast on the return.

Current sprung one 330 and the other 330 connected on a beaver.

686E05A1-1751-4C84-8E17-EE625D71A777.jpeg

The current was strong and required me to reset from upstream.

EC44C387-3CA4-4525-9C05-5C9EDA2F9B21.jpeg
    Last edited by outdoorsman; 03-03-2018 at 09:17 PM.

Wearing a life jacket at all times in that I hope??!! That's a couple of good days on the water.

Paddling up to this set I was super excited seeing the spring sprung and protruding above the water line.

70B05EDA-7577-4AE8-81DB-895092FBDBD4.jpeg

3B98FA62-941D-49A9-95EE-4CC2A4813BCA.jpeg

Whatever came through pushed the trap aside and set it off in the process.

Next time I guess will be better. No catches today. The rain event damaged the dam causing the pond to Lowe about 4”.

Default Still Fighting That Wind.

Just got in from checking the two traps. The wind was still ripping through the valley and more consistent than the other days. The water level made for shallow canoe and a number of bottom bumps. I fought to the sets and found no action.

I pulled the traps. The remaining beavers can rebuild the dam and do what they do.

AC682B58-A93F-4F69-B795-78129CEA50F3.jpeg

Over the weekend the 2003 Chevy developed a leak between the exhaust manifold and head. It?s a light leak and sounded more like a lifter tick but didn?t go away as I accelerated. I ordered a manifold with new gaskets and all bolts off Rock Auto. Replacing manifolds on a GM 6.0 can be a nightmare and I don?t have down time for this truck until mid-April.

After some careful thought I decided to try some wood stove gasket sealant pushed down into the space between the manifold and head. It is a temporary patched but held over a 10 mile 20 minute drive.

BEA3D01D-C1DA-4EDF-B45D-20B5AF3F854A.jpeg

If that wasn?t enough, the end of last week I had a sticking rear brake caliper and sticking pads on my car. I disassembled the caliper, sanded out the rust, polished the piston, reassembled it, and through in a set of 1/2 worn pads I had in the basement.

C7C4E174-5A05-4CC9-9D8E-CAE48C20C625.jpeg

Onwards and upwards!
    Last edited by outdoorsman; 03-05-2018 at 06:27 PM.

Outdoorsman we are going to start calling you " MacGyver " . You always have some trick to pull out of your sleeve for every situation. LOL

I have quite the reputation among friends for temporary fixes and long term fixes at low cost. Just yesterday my daughter and I were talking at dinner how good it is I know how to fix things. Otherwise, we would have far less than we do.

Default Better Lucky Than Good

I struck luck on two fronts. I plowed 19 hours with no exhaust leak. Not in a million years did I think the wood stove gasket sealant would hold that long.

The second front was following my instinct and pulling my two sets. The snow depth has blocked all reasonable access to the location. In past years I?ve plowed the access road and made towing companies a lot of money from those lacking outdoor skills. Funny drivers to watch though extremely aggravating when they?re in my way.

Installed the replacement driveshaft in the 87 this afternoon . It was well worth the purchase and has zero driveline vibrations now. The new shaft is significantly more stout than an OEM shaft. Not that it really matters as my daughter has said she’ll never beat on this truck. I got into the throttle pretty good while we were checking out a beaver swamp. Bouncing around she yelled out “My poor truck!”

CB3E587F-8B5E-4761-B43C-D842AF2308DA.jpeg
    Last edited by outdoorsman; 03-11-2018 at 08:01 PM.