Default Got to shoot some interesting rifles today.

Had a chance today to shoot a .260 Remington, a 6.5 Grendel and a couple other nice rifles. We were shooting at 600 yards with all of them. A couple of us shot 3 inch groups of 3 shots with the .260 Remington and slightly better groups with the 6.5 Grendel. It's a little strange to shoot one of these rifles, as at the shot it takes about 2.5 seconds for the sound of the bullet hitting the steel man to get back to you. The scope on the .260 is 5x-25x. I could hold the crosshairs on a 1 inch circle at 600 yards on the target but it was hard to see the target (2' wide by about 30" high) at all at 600 yards with the naked eye. The target was about 90 yards in back of the last clump of brown dirt you can see in the picture. I'm lucky to get a chance to do this every year with different rifles and scopes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You can sit on a big cut this year with that rifle...
    Last edited by longbow; 07-16-2017 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    You can sit on a big cut this year with that rifle...
    Lol! Was thinking the same thing....put that in Browse" hands and you got a long range deadly combination on your hands!
    Life is short. Choose the mountains you are willing to die on carefully.

Good luck on the trail!

Very cool. The 260 Remington is an amazing cartridge. It might possibly be just about the perfect cartridge for whitetail.... super accurate, flat shooting, very low recoil, and excellent knock down power. But it just never took off. Its on my list of rifles I would like to own some day.

Quote Originally Posted by Meatseeker View Post
    Very cool. The 260 Remington is an amazing cartridge. It might possibly be just about the perfect cartridge for whitetail.... super accurate, flat shooting, very low recoil, and excellent knock down power. But it just never took off. Its on my list of rifles I would like to own some day.
    I think it will gain in popularity in a year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Browseline View Post
    I think it will gain in popularity in a year or two.
    It's sort of interesting that the .260 Remington has been languishing for years, it should be a tremendously popular deer cartridge but it's way behind the .243 and 7mm-08. Then the 6.5 Creedmoor comes along and everybody and their brother is talking about how great it is. There isn't a dimes worth of difference between them but the Creedmoor is catching fire and the .260 never did.

Quote Originally Posted by RememberBaker View Post
    It's sort of interesting that the .260 Remington has been languishing for years, it should be a tremendously popular deer cartridge but it's way behind the .243 and 7mm-08. Then the 6.5 Creedmoor comes along and everybody and their brother is talking about how great it is. There isn't a dimes worth of difference between them but the Creedmoor is catching fire and the .260 never did.
    The 260 had potential to be as popular as the the 6.5CM but it didn't take off for a few reasons 1) very limited factory loads for it and 2) Remington did nothing to promote it...it just kinda sat there, customers wanted different barrel twist rates etc and they just got ignored.