Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Quote Originally Posted by NH Hunter View Post
    I can tell you after guiding for a while you'd be surprised who needs their hand held. Imagine being a guide with a line of 3 or 4 guys, and the first bird flushes second from the right and takes a hard left towards yourself and the other two hunters on the left........ You have no idea if the guys are going to follow your instructions you just told them at the truck about their swing zone. Not to mention your 1500.00 investment and friendship in your dog........ I'd be pretty directive as to when and where someone would load as well.
    I think you are right, you never know who you are dealing with. I just like making the decisions myself in all aspects, where to hunt, what to wear, when to load my gun. But..., I guess some people may be just starting out or just be downright dangerous! , and like you said you can't be too careful when guiding.

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    I just like making the decisions myself in all aspects, where to hunt, what to wear, when to load my gun.
    I agree 1000%

I just watched an episode of Jim Shockey bear hunting on Vancouver island. It was a rich guy that won the hunt through SCI. The way he handled his rifle was scary. He took a very bad shot at the bear and caused a bad recovery situation.

Quote Originally Posted by BearHunter View Post
    Never understood why someone would sit in front of a TV watching a hunting or fishing show when they could be outdoors actually hunting or fishing. Why waste your time watching someone else having all the fun.
    I don't think anyone was saying they'd prefer to watch outdoor tv to actually participating. I think the OP was making the same point as you - 99.0% of the shows absolutely suck. For me though, when its 9pm, I only have an hour or so before I crash for the night, I'd much rather watch a mediocre outdoor show than the very best "Kardashians" or "Survivor" or "What $900k House Is Best For My Poor Family" on HGTV has to offer.

Most of the shows I watch I catch myself saying "boy that must be nice" a lot! Mainly when the guy is bow hunting over a 20 acres food plot, getting ready to shoot a 170" but you can see 10 other racked bucks in the frame. Oh well

I like McMillan, he makes me chuckle, and his little boy is darn cute. Especially the episode when its Tom's bday and his little boy give him a present that has a shed horn, battery, and a green tomato in it. His little boy must only be 2-3 years old.

Tom: A shed?
    Boy: Yep

Tom: A double A battery?

Tom: And a green tomato?!

I like Just Junie...

I'm starting to tire of the shots of the truck getting packed, focus on the Yeti cooler, load in all the sponsored gear. Then the same old camera shot of the sideview mirror, oh and don't forget to set the camera on the ground and show the hunter walking away. Cool when people first started doing it a few years ago, but now everybody does the same crap.
    My people call me "Stands on Logging Roads."

Lets call a spade a spade. Hunting shows are hunting reality shows. You can't watch them and expect them to be anymore then that. You just have to watch them (or not watch them) for what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by SportsmanNH View Post
    There used to be a breeding population in MA when I was a kid. Tons of birds in some spots. At least in the towns I hunted. Dracut , Methuen , Tyngboro, Groton , and Townsend. Back then you could only shoot roosters. I can say that at least 19 out of 20 of the roosters back then did not have a ring. It was actually rare to shoot one that had a ring on its leg. Its been at least 20 years since I hunted pheasants down there. I guess times have changed.

My family owned farms on Long Island until the 90's and there was a sizable population of wild pheasants. Tough birds because they knew how to hide in the thickest green catbriars. My dad and I hunted them just like hunting rabbits. I loved to hunt them on snow because we'd track them and flush them.
    Now big homes have sprung up everywhere eradicating their habitat to the point where seeing a pheasant is a big thing!
    Last edited by catskill adventures1; 04-19-2017 at 03:57 PM.