Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: I think I found the pack I want

Quote Originally Posted by Mainewoods View Post
    Shawn,

I think you would be better off with a good sized fanny pack that has shoulder straps, if you are looking for something bigger than a regular fanny pack. This things looks hot and has no waist straps, so all the weight is on your shoulders. I think AJ, loved his Badlands monster fanny pack.
    I have been using the Badlands Monster for a hand full of years now. No complaints, I'd recomend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavman View Post
    I have a Cabelas game vest for upland hunting, it is brown. I love it though and would wear it for deer season if not for the buckskin color. It's so handy with the large outer pockets, the inner pocket for license and tags, the game pouch for carrying first aid kit, water, snacks. When upland bird season ends and I have to dig out my deer hunting gear I put the vest away thinking I know I am going to miss it. Maybe I should get a new vest with a little orange on it...got me thinking now.
    I have the primos one in blaze orange. Make me an offer and you own it. I never wear it
    Last edited by NH Hunter; 02-22-2018 at 11:56 AM.

NH Hunter did you ever get the pack? If so, how do you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    NH Hunter did you ever get the pack? If so, how do you like it?
    Never got it, and still on my quest for the perfect pack.

My requirements for "perfection" are.....

1. Quiet. I don't want to hear that scratching sound when it drags down a limb.

2. It needs to hold half dozen cams, my tablet to read the cards, sandwich, bottle of water, and a few odds and ends snacks.

3. A strap type system on the bottom to tether my jacket to when the days heat up. OR be a big enough pack I can roll the jacket , and put it inside.

4. Not so padded I have "back damp" by 8:30.

5. Flexible straps at my shoulders so I can actually shoulder my gun comfortably should I see a deer

6. I like a little center hitch clip across my chest so the pack stays on my shoulders.

Finding a pack that meets all these requirements has been a massive pain in the ass. I don't mind spending money on one, but I don't want to have buyers remorse the first day I hunt with it.

Did you ever lay hands on that Johnson pack? Didn’t like it?
    Last edited by longbow; 02-22-2018 at 02:58 PM. Reason: not woolrich

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Did you ever lay hands on that Woolrich pack? Didn’t like it?
    I wanted to see it in person before dropping the 140.00. I decided that a "fanny pack" wasn't what I wanted. If I was going to buy one though...... It'd be the one from BWB. That thing looks pretty sweet. Then again, something that big and heavy around your hips all day doesn't seem comfortable. Besides.... I already have that with my fat gut!!! LOL

Update......

I just spoke with a woman at Johnson wool. I won't be owning that pack. They are just awful to talk to. I asked about the performance of the pack, and explained my issue with a mine, and my best friends pair of pants 10-12 years ago. She started telling me how they aren't made to rub together like "sandpaper" and they aren't made to last "forever". Obviously I don't expect them to last forever, but I'd like more than a season out of something. I let her go on about how wool "should wear over time". When she was finished I asked how they justified charging 240.00 for pants that don't last more then a season. I also added that my Beagle pants are going on 10 years, and yes I did have a saddle sewn in the crotch area to double the wear, but they are still going just fine. I guess that's how 260.00 pants should wear.

I've said it before and I'll say it again..... if you waste your money on Johnson wool pants, and you do any kind of walking, You'll be bullshit by the end of the year when your nuts are hanging out of your pants. They are made for Fred and Buffy to take a snow shoe in the woods twice a year, not for the New England deer hunter they started out serving, and who made their company name for them.

A little off subject here, but I have a pile of Johnson wool pants that I've saved over the last 30 years after the crotch or knees wore out. I bought a pair of Codet wool pants 2 years ago as I won't pay the big bucks for Johnsons. Wore them about 20 times and they look like new. $80. Made in Canada. I do buy them quite a bit bigger than my normal size as I can't stand to wear tight hunting clothes that bind anywhere on me.

I have had my Filson wool pants for over 20 years. Had to sew in some new crotch material about 10 years ago. Look at how tight the weave is when you compare pants. The tighter the weave and thicker they are, the longer they are going to last most likely. I haven't seen any tighter than Filson's.
    Last edited by longbow; 02-22-2018 at 03:21 PM.