Default Canadian Mark VII 22 Rehab

A while back I got a 22 from my dad that is pretty beat up, its a Canadian Mark VII. I started cleaning it up a little and as I was taking it apart decided it would be nice to refinish it and give it back to my dad. Anyone have experience rebluing a barrel? That is the main issue, its pretty rusty and needs to be redone. I picked up a Birchwood Casey rebluing kit (with bluing paste) and before I use it was wondering if anyone has used this kit before? The reviews I read were pretty typical some had good results others didn't.

How about getting it cerakoted? I doubt you will get the results you are looking for with the rebluing kit.
    My people call me "Stands on Logging Roads."

I haven't considered that, any idea how much it costs? I didn't want to spend a lot on this since it won't be used much but if reasonable this might be a good choice.

My people call me "Stands on Logging Roads."

Seems like you have little to loose by trying what you have and if not satisfied go to plan B. Most of the real and timely work will have to be done no matter what. While a cold blue will never give the results of the hot salt bath you might be able to get a pretty good finish. The real secret to any bluing job, whether hot or cold, is the initial metal prep. Get it as absolutely smooth and free of scratches, pits, etc. as possible and have it completely clean and degreased before you re-blue.

That is is consistent with what I have read, every positive review or comment mentioned how important prep was. I will probably give it a shot since I already have the kit. I think this will be a fun project and something to pick away at the next few months. I'm curious to see how it turns out, but either way its going to be in better shape than it is in now. I wish I had better before pics, I started cleaning and taking it apart and then thought to take them. The ones I did take didn't come out that good.