Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Getting Antsy!!!!

Yup first time trying 3/16 but this patch should be perfect for it. 500' long runs, 40-50' drop before the first taps. We'll see how it goes.

We got most of dads tapped this weekend. Think we did 3500 between 3 of us. bed felt good last night haha

Quote Originally Posted by VTHunter08 View Post
    Yup first time trying 3/16 but this patch should be perfect for it. 500' long runs, 40-50' drop before the first taps. We'll see how it goes.

We got most of dads tapped this weekend. Think we did 3500 between 3 of us. bed felt good last night haha
    3500 in a weekend is cranking, even with 3 guys. Do you even remember hitting the pillow?

I spend Saturday running 4 new 3/16 runs. 2 were short, but through some tangled blowdowns, so they took me forever. The other 2 were about 500ft, and strait up over some ledges. The conditions where rough. Its ice under about 16" of dense snow, but because of the terrain, I couldn't use my snowshoes. 100 new taps on 3/16 with plenty of drop should put a lot of sap in those tanks. I've had 3/16 give 27 gallons per tap before, compared to 5gpt when the same run was on 5/16 gravity.

That's a lot of work. I assume you are selling the stuff?

I got about 75 or so in this past weekend in one small patch in my front yard. Didn't take very long but was chasing leaks for a while after I was all tapped. Last year I ran a mainline and hooked up to a Shurflo pump, beats the hell out of lugging the buckets! I have another 150 to tap this weekend, chase some more leaks, get the evaporator positioned, rinse hoses / tanks, and get set up for the first boil of the year. I boil on a 2x4 oil fired evaporator so it doesn't take much to get enough to boil, should have enough to sweeten the pans by Saturday. I usually wait until the end of February to tap my buckets, they run good but only for a few weeks so I have to time it right to get the best production.

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    That's a lot of work. I assume you are selling the stuff?
    Yeah we're both sap suckers. we don't boil. I like it b/c I make a little money, plus gives me a sugar house to go to and have a few beers, but come and go as I please!

Tapped some in January to work out new line before things really got going. Just finished tapping last week. Temps look good for some good runs through the next week. Have made some syrup but sugar content was and still is pretty low. Built an RO that helps cut that down a fair amount.

My people call me "Stands on Logging Roads."

Ting....ting.....ting.....ting.....

Great pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Escout711 View Post
    Great pictures.
    I've already told you more than I know.

A friend of mine sent me this photo of his nephews new system. It has a steam away, RO and is oil fired. He had his first boil today. Had 2200 gallons of sap and boiled what ever is left after the RO gets done with it ( or how ever this works) in a little over 3 hours. Ended up with 14 gallons of syrup. Sugar content was very low but always is on the first boil my friend said. I think he made 1200 gallons of syrup last year but I may be wrong on that. Looks like a complicated machine to me and that's about all I know about it. This is Southern NH.
    Attached Images Attached Images