Default Getting a 7 mo Jack Russell rescue today

Anyone in MA with experience training a JR to hunt rabbits? Going to be a family dog but would be fun to see if she has the instinct. Any advice is appreciated.

Well,
    The dog seems to have some hunting instincts. Hoping I can find some good training resources and get her going.

Hope you post some photos of your JR

how is he? behaving well?

Quote Originally Posted by tobydog View Post
    how is he? behaving well?
    Female. Southern dog brought up here through a rescue in Hopkinton. I'd say she's ok on the behavior front. She's great with my two young kids. A little under socialized with other dogs, so she's quick to bark at other dogs on our road from a distance, even the ones she knows and plays with regularly. She is good around bigger dogs when we get in closer. She also got spooked by a lawn chair in the neighbor's yard the other night and barked at that.

She's a natural squirrel chaser and she's seems to have no fear of firearm noise (had her at my Sportsman's Club while my wife and I shot bows, the outdoor rifle range was close by with lots of shooting, and she didn't bat an eye. I don't trust her off leash, or at least any place I can take her off leash around my place. I wish I could take her some place with few/no other dogs and let her run a bit and do some off leash training. I think there is rabbit/squirrel dog potential. She was ~1 year old when we got her, wished I had snagged her as pup and avoided some of these less desirable behaviors.