Thread: Getting started trapping

Default Getting started trapping

I'm going to try my hand at trapping finally. I was shed hunting last week and found a few fresh deer kills by coyotes. The thing that has always kept me from trapping was my work schedule. I work on call on the railroad as an engineer. I'm working a schedule now that has usually 24-48 hours off between runs. A friend is giving me some snares and I'm going to put them on a few fence crossings I found with lots of tracks. Hopefully it works out and I can make some pocket change.

I set some snares today along the interstate. I found quite a few places where critters are crawling under the fence. I set 3 around a bobcat den I found last spring. We'll see in the morning what I have. My daughter helped me set them.

Bobcat scratching post. The den is right behind it under a fallen tree.

The post looks like it hasn't been hit for a while. (That picture is from last spring. ) the den looked like it's still being used. There were fresh tracks around it and you can tell critters are going in and out of the hole. I set two snares around the post and another on a trail going away from the den.

Any success snaring?
    Leave my rifle, my fishing pole, my traps, and leave me be.

Not at all. I had them up for a week or so but I had to pull them down. Work picked up and I wasn't able to check them daily as the law requires.