Default Carlos Hathcock Award

I was looking at some old pictures the other day and ran across these and some others. I don't think I've mentioned this on here. A good friend of mine whom I've known since he was 10 years old won this in 2015. Some of you have probably heard of this award. He is retired Army, Special Forces, Sergeant Major, 30 years active duty. He retired about 4 years ago. Since then I've had the opportunity to shoot with him for a couple days each summer from 100 to 600 yards. That's a big deal to me but a chip shot for him. I look forward to it every year and have learned a lot from him.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's impressive. I've watched a couple documentary's on Carlos. He was a serious shooting SOB. The story I remember the most , is he took out a female sniper that had had many kills against the US GI's regardless of where they were. He followed her and a few other VC for days trying to get position, He saw here squat to pee, and that was the end of her.....

Quote Originally Posted by NH Hunter View Post
    That's impressive. I've watched a couple documentary's on Carlos. He was a serious shooting SOB. The story I remember the most , is he took out a female sniper that had had many kills against the US GI's regardless of where they were. He followed her and a few other VC for days trying to get position, He saw here squat to pee, and that was the end of her.....
    I always liked the one where he spotted the reflection of the enemy snipers scope and shot him right through the scope tube.
    My people call me "Stands on Logging Roads."

Now I know why you like those high power scopes I bet you picked up some good shooting tips from him.

Back sometime in the mid-sixties I was shooting next to Carlos during the 1000 yard matches at Camp Perry during the National Hi-Power Matches. A quiet, humble man who was a guy you wanted to call friend. As far as his shooting went, all he did was win the Wimbledon Match which is 20 shots for record prone at 1000 yards with any cal. gun with any sights. It's probably the most prestigious single match fired at the nationals.

Quote Originally Posted by VtPalmaShooter View Post
    Back sometime in the mid-sixties I was shooting next to Carlos during the 1000 yard matches at Camp Perry during the National Hi-Power Matches. A quiet, humble man who was a guy you wanted to call friend. As far as his shooting went, all he did was win the Wimbledon Match which is 20 shots for record prone at 1000 yards with any cal. gun with any sights. It's probably the most prestigious single match fired at the nationals.
    And didn't he do this all with .30-06 Winchester?
    My people call me "Stands on Logging Roads."

Quote Originally Posted by VtPalmaShooter View Post
    Hearing this about you, I'll bet you knew Creighton Audette. I never met him but the father of my friend who won the Hathcock Award knew him. My friends father asked Creighton about helping him work up a load for a particular rifle he owned and wanted to achieve a 1.5 inch group at 200 yards. After describing the rifle to Creighton, Creighton paused for a while and said. "What you are asking me to do would be similar to trying to win the Indianapolis 500 with a dump truck." We still laugh when he tells this story.

Quote Originally Posted by Browseline View Post
    Hearing this about you, I'll bet you knew Creighton Audette. I never met him but the father of my friend who won the Hathcock Award knew him. My friends father asked Creighton about helping him work up a load for a particular rifle he owned and wanted to achieve a 1.5 inch group at 200 yards. After describing the rifle to Creighton, Creighton paused for a while and said. "What you are asking me to do would be similar to trying to win the Indianapolis 500 with a dump truck." We still laugh when he tells this story.
    I did know Creighton and we attended matches together for 30 years, in fact we were at Perry together for the match I mentioned above re Hathcock. I'd never heard the story you mention, it's a beaut and typical of Creighton.
    Creighton had a customer named Arthur Jackson. Art had medaled in every International Rifle Match there was, including the Olympics but had never made the U.S. Palma Team and wanted to badly. He had Creighton tune up a rifle to shoot in the Palma tryouts and decided it wasn't shooting as well as he wished. Art decided to do a little "bedding work" on the rifle, that didn't help and he took it back to Creighton. Creight gave it the once over and Art came up to pick it up. Apparently Creight wasn't real impressed with Art's stock work and told Art as he left: "Arthur, you are never to remove this rifle from the stock again". Art didn't and made the Palma Team.