Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: wabbits

Quote Originally Posted by RememberBaker View Post
    This has always been my favorite rabbit recipe, it used to be featured in Marlin ads in the late 70's.

SHENANDOAH VALLEY RABBIT CASSEROLE
    1 or 2 rabbits, depending on size
    1/2 tsp. salt
    Fresh, ground pepper to taste
    1/2 tsp. thyme
    2 or 3 lg. bay leaves
    5 slices bacon, cut into strips
    1 c. water
    1 c. seasoned bread crumbs
    Clean and cut rabbits into serving size pieces. Soak young rabbits 1 to 2 hours, in salt water, 12 to 18 hours for older rabbits, 1 teaspoon salt per quart of water. After soaking, warp meat in damp cloth and store overnight in cold place. Butter a casserole dish large enough to hold pieces. Put in a layer of rabbit, sprinkle with salt, pepper and thyme and add bay leaves. Add a layer of bacon pieces. Repeat until all ingredients are used up. Pour water over casserole, cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 to 2 hours, until rabbit is tender. Remove cover and sprinkle seasoned bread crumbs over rabbit. Bake 30 minutes longer and serve with broccoli, rye bread and assorted garden vegetables.
    Sounds interesting, I'll give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by sneaky_pete000 View Post
    The reviews look good, have you used them? I'm hesitant to even spend $50 on something that might be shredded immediately after pushing through the roses. That stuff really has taken off, and I've never encountered thorns like that before. The rabbits love it though.
    Try your chainsaw chaps

Quote Originally Posted by Lavman View Post
    Try your chainsaw chaps
    Yeah, those would definitely guard my legs, but I think they have too much texture to move through the roses. I need something "harder", if that makes sense, so the thorns can't get a grip. Maybe I'm wrong though, and should give it a shot.

I see. You are right, I have only seen snowshoe hares around my house, had a big one lurking around in the early mornings last summer eating off the lawn. A friend of mine has a beagle and he is going to run rabbits this winter near here seems like a good time.
    Hunting with a dog is awesome. Tons of fun, and WAY easier than doing it without a dog.

Over in Tinmouth we have a section we call "the briar patch" and it has the meanest thorns I have ever encountered. These things are like an inch long, sharp as a pin and once they get a hold of you they don't let go. The deer have little tunnels they sneak in there and hide, year before this I got tore up good in there trying to root a buck out. This year when I went back over there I brought hand pruners with me thinking if I had to crawl through there again I would cut myself through. I do think cutting a swath through it with a flamethrower would be a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by sneaky_pete000 View Post
    The reviews look good, have you used them? I'm hesitant to even spend $50 on something that might be shredded immediately after pushing through the roses. That stuff really has taken off, and I've never encountered thorns like that before. The rabbits love it though.
    I have not, however, since it's from Cabelas, it's guaranteed. If you feel real fancy, you could get Filson chaps, but damn they are expensive!
    My people call me "Stands on Logging Roads."

Over in Tinmouth we have a section we call "the briar patch" and it has the meanest thorns I have ever encountered. These things are like an inch long, sharp as a pin and once they get a hold of you they don't let go. The deer have little tunnels they sneak in there and hide, year before this I got tore up good in there trying to root a buck out. This year when I went back over there I brought hand pruners with me thinking if I had to crawl through there again I would cut myself through. I do think cutting a swath through it with a flamethrower would be a good time.
    Here in southeast MA, we have greenbrier. Greenbrier is insane. The thorns aren't scary sharp, they are like the tip of a nail. What is crazy about greenbrier is the way it grows. It's a creeping vine, it'll run 30' feet up trees. The stuff is like concertina wire, it wraps around your feet and grabs you. in open spots in the woods, it grows in rolls. The tensile strength is ridiculous, you have to cut it, it's too strong to just rip it.

My people call me "Stands on Logging Roads."

Quote Originally Posted by Escout711 View Post
    Here in southeast MA, we have greenbrier. Greenbrier is insane. The thorns aren't scary sharp, they are like the tip of a nail. What is crazy about greenbrier is the way it grows. It's a creeping vine, it'll run 30' feet up trees. The stuff is like concertina wire, it wraps around your feet and grabs you. in open spots in the woods, it grows in rolls. The tensile strength is ridiculous, you have to cut it, it's too strong to just rip it.

what is even more crazy is that the deer down here eat it!

Mother Nature's concertina wire! I am glad we don't have a lot of it around, quite miserable to contend with.

Tinmouth has some good cottontail areas...Did you see any rabbit sign in there?