Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30

Thread: wabbits

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southern Vermont
    Posts
    3,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RememberBaker View Post
    This has always been my favorite rabbit recipe, it used to be featured in Marlin ads in the late 70's.


    SHENANDOAH VALLEY RABBIT CASSEROLE
    1 or 2 rabbits, depending on size
    1/2 tsp. salt
    Fresh, ground pepper to taste
    1/2 tsp. thyme
    2 or 3 lg. bay leaves
    5 slices bacon, cut into strips
    1 c. water
    1 c. seasoned bread crumbs
    Clean and cut rabbits into serving size pieces. Soak young rabbits 1 to 2 hours, in salt water, 12 to 18 hours for older rabbits, 1 teaspoon salt per quart of water. After soaking, warp meat in damp cloth and store overnight in cold place. Butter a casserole dish large enough to hold pieces. Put in a layer of rabbit, sprinkle with salt, pepper and thyme and add bay leaves. Add a layer of bacon pieces. Repeat until all ingredients are used up. Pour water over casserole, cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 to 2 hours, until rabbit is tender. Remove cover and sprinkle seasoned bread crumbs over rabbit. Bake 30 minutes longer and serve with broccoli, rye bread and assorted garden vegetables.
    Sounds interesting, I'll give it a shot.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sneaky_pete000 View Post
    The reviews look good, have you used them? I'm hesitant to even spend $50 on something that might be shredded immediately after pushing through the roses. That stuff really has taken off, and I've never encountered thorns like that before. The rabbits love it though.
    Try your chainsaw chaps

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southern Vermont
    Posts
    3,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lavman View Post
    Try your chainsaw chaps
    Yeah, those would definitely guard my legs, but I think they have too much texture to move through the roses. I need something "harder", if that makes sense, so the thorns can't get a grip. Maybe I'm wrong though, and should give it a shot.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southern Vermont
    Posts
    3,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lavman View Post
    I see. You are right, I have only seen snowshoe hares around my house, had a big one lurking around in the early mornings last summer eating off the lawn. A friend of mine has a beagle and he is going to run rabbits this winter near here seems like a good time.
    Hunting with a dog is awesome. Tons of fun, and WAY easier than doing it without a dog.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,009

    Default

    Over in Tinmouth we have a section we call "the briar patch" and it has the meanest thorns I have ever encountered. These things are like an inch long, sharp as a pin and once they get a hold of you they don't let go. The deer have little tunnels they sneak in there and hide, year before this I got tore up good in there trying to root a buck out. This year when I went back over there I brought hand pruners with me thinking if I had to crawl through there again I would cut myself through. I do think cutting a swath through it with a flamethrower would be a good time.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    S.E. Mass.- NY Zone 4F/4o
    Posts
    10,769

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sneaky_pete000 View Post
    The reviews look good, have you used them? I'm hesitant to even spend $50 on something that might be shredded immediately after pushing through the roses. That stuff really has taken off, and I've never encountered thorns like that before. The rabbits love it though.
    I have not, however, since it's from Cabelas, it's guaranteed. If you feel real fancy, you could get Filson chaps, but damn they are expensive!
    My people call me "Stands on Logging Roads."

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    S.E. Mass.- NY Zone 4F/4o
    Posts
    10,769

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lavman View Post
    Over in Tinmouth we have a section we call "the briar patch" and it has the meanest thorns I have ever encountered. These things are like an inch long, sharp as a pin and once they get a hold of you they don't let go. The deer have little tunnels they sneak in there and hide, year before this I got tore up good in there trying to root a buck out. This year when I went back over there I brought hand pruners with me thinking if I had to crawl through there again I would cut myself through. I do think cutting a swath through it with a flamethrower would be a good time.
    Here in southeast MA, we have greenbrier. Greenbrier is insane. The thorns aren't scary sharp, they are like the tip of a nail. What is crazy about greenbrier is the way it grows. It's a creeping vine, it'll run 30' feet up trees. The stuff is like concertina wire, it wraps around your feet and grabs you. in open spots in the woods, it grows in rolls. The tensile strength is ridiculous, you have to cut it, it's too strong to just rip it.



    My people call me "Stands on Logging Roads."

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    S.E. MASS
    Posts
    1,578

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Escout711 View Post
    Here in southeast MA, we have greenbrier. Greenbrier is insane. The thorns aren't scary sharp, they are like the tip of a nail. What is crazy about greenbrier is the way it grows. It's a creeping vine, it'll run 30' feet up trees. The stuff is like concertina wire, it wraps around your feet and grabs you. in open spots in the woods, it grows in rolls. The tensile strength is ridiculous, you have to cut it, it's too strong to just rip it.



    what is even more crazy is that the deer down here eat it!

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,009

    Default

    Mother Nature's concertina wire! I am glad we don't have a lot of it around, quite miserable to contend with.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southern Vermont
    Posts
    3,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lavman View Post
    Over in Tinmouth we have a section we call "the briar patch" and it has the meanest thorns I have ever encountered. These things are like an inch long, sharp as a pin and once they get a hold of you they don't let go. The deer have little tunnels they sneak in there and hide, year before this I got tore up good in there trying to root a buck out. This year when I went back over there I brought hand pruners with me thinking if I had to crawl through there again I would cut myself through. I do think cutting a swath through it with a flamethrower would be a good time.
    Tinmouth has some good cottontail areas...Did you see any rabbit sign in there?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •