Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by VTHunter08 View Post
    I've only got a couple loads of pyrodex left. Think I'm going to be giving this blackhorn a try. Only heard good things about it.
    I promise that you will not be sorry, the stuff is awesome.
    My people call me "Stands on Logging Roads."

I've only got a couple loads of pyrodex left. Think I'm going to be giving this blackhorn a try. Only heard good things about it.
    I use Blackhorn exclusively in my hunting guns. Since I use the TC Contender platform the powder is perfect for me. You need to have a closed breech or fully supported recess for the 209 primer. As an example, my old TC Black Diamond as the slotted nipple for 209 primers. That cannot be used with Blackhorn 209 powder.

I like the fact that I can leave the gun loaded with it and it is good for two months or more. Also, there is less shot to shot variation. As a rule, the first shot from a clean barrel has a different point of impact than a dirty one. Not in the case with Blackhorn 209. It seems to be very consistent. The one caveat is that you must use full power 209 primers. The 209 primers manufactured for pyrodex and the like are not hot enough for reliable ignition.

So what primers do you use? or suggest? I'm not sure what you mean recess for the primer. I shoot a TC Pro Hunter. Should work right? Blackhorn is loose powder too right? I've heard it burns hotter so you don't need as much powder compared to the pellets? Have you guys found this to be true? For instance I shoot 3 pellets right now (150gr) but if I switched to buckhorn I could be shooting 100-120gr.

I use Federal 209 shotshell primers. Also I have found Winchester Western 209s work. Make sure they are for reloading shotshells and NOT the Black Powder 209 primers. I recall one day I forgot my 209 primers and a friend gave me a few BP 209's. Misfires almost all the time.

So what primers do you use? or suggest? I'm not sure what you mean recess for the primer. I shoot a TC Pro Hunter. Should work right? Blackhorn is loose powder too right? I've heard it burns hotter so you don't need as much powder compared to the pellets? Have you guys found this to be true? For instance I shoot 3 pellets right now (150gr) but if I switched to buckhorn I could be shooting 100-120gr.
    I can shoot 1" groups at 100 yards out of a TC Omega with 90 gr of Blackhorn, with Hornady 250 gr- 45 cal FTX bullets, with Harvester Crushed Rib Sabots (green - 50 cal sabots for 45 cal diameter bullets) and Winchester 209 shotgun primers. This load is deadly. You can push up to 100 to 120 gr of powder is you want a little more knock down, but I have found that my accuracy starts to suffer after about 95 gr of Black horn. With 110 gr the best I could do was about a 3.5 to 4" group. Blackhorn is powerful don't push the powder load too much.

The other great thing about Blackhorn is that when you are done you can clean your gun with regular old Hoppes #9. No need for hot water, seasoning your barrel, bore butter etc. Load it up, hunt with it, when the season is over discharge it and clean like you would any other rifle. Its that easy

sabots - http://www.cabelas.com/product/Harve...Per/740770.uts

bullets - http://www.hornady.com/store/45-Cal-...50-Bushmaster/

I started using BH209 when I got my new Accura MR last year. Great stuff. Easy to clean and easy to reload, shot after shot after shot. Zero crud ring. BH recommends using the Federal 209A or CCI 209M. Check out their web page it has answers to most questions people have and some ballistic charts for various load /projectile combinations. There is also a list of breech plugs that are compatible w/ BH I believe.