Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 239

Thread: Remote setups

  1. #201
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    NJ.
    Posts
    3,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by woodwhisperer View Post
    Not from what Larry said in his book! Not sure I can swallow that, but I do believe that Lanny likes to book when he's hunting...!
    Larry said in his book that he jogged 5 miles a day getting ready for hunting season. I kind of think he was just trying to be helpful by telling people to get in shape. Did anyone ever see Larry jogging along the roads in Vermont every day before the season?

  2. #202
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Larry said in his book that he jogged 5 miles a day getting ready for hunting season. I kind of think he was just trying to be helpful by telling people to get in shape. Did anyone ever see Larry jogging along the roads in Vermont every day before the season?
    Huh, funny you say that longbow because I wondered the same thing. Along with....sorry if this is a stupid question .... but from that same section, what the heck is a "leg roll?"

    Yeah, I believe Larry kept in regular shape in his younger years, but 5 miles a day is a serious runner, at least a semi-serious runner, and looking at Larry it just didn't quite fit. Like the Lanny story, I guess, right in essence - I do believe Larry kept up, in order to keep up on long hunts like they do.

  3. #203
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    S.E. Mass.- NY Zone 4F/4o
    Posts
    10,305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by woodwhisperer View Post
    Beautiful. Thanks, escout. Have any of you guys seen the show Meat Eater, hosted by Steven Rinella? I absolutely love this show, and there's one episode where he and his good buddy hunt mulies in the remote reaches of what I seem to recall as this very land, the Sawtooth range. You should watch. The whole show, episodes set in remote, wilderness hunts. On Netflix, I believe.
    Yes, I've seen the show. Meateater is one of the best hunting shows out there.

    Quote Originally Posted by woodwhisperer View Post
    Huh, funny you say that longbow because I wondered the same thing. Along with....sorry if this is a stupid question .... but from that same section, what the heck is a "leg roll?"

    Yeah, I believe Larry kept in regular shape in his younger years, but 5 miles a day is a serious runner, at least a semi-serious runner, and looking at Larry it just didn't quite fit. Like the Lanny story, I guess, right in essence - I do believe Larry kept up, in order to keep up on long hunts like they do.
    I used to do a lot of hiking and backpacking. On trail, in rough mountainous terrain like the White Mountains, 1.5 miles per hour is a pretty realistic pace with a day pack, less with a heavy backpack. I realize that the terrain they hunt is not as rugged as the White Mountains, but they also were traveling crosscountry, no trails. Even if you gave them credit for 2mph, they'd have to be moving very briskly for 10 hours nonstop to cover 20 miles. That means nonstop moving from 7am-5pm. Even if they did that 1 time, doing that on multiple days would cripple most folks who are in tip top shape.
    Last edited by Escout711; 01-11-2017 at 01:50 PM.
    My people call me "Stands on Logging Roads."

  4. #204
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    213

    Default

    I love his book and have learned from it a good deal but yeah, I do think it's a bit....stretched. Re-reading it just now, and he claims in one day Lanny came out 45 miles from where he started. And "if you can't dog a mountain buck....15 miles in one day, do the same the next day, day after day, week...then maybe just be an armchair hunter."

    Not taking anything away from this venerable late man, because I love him. And I have no issue with statements like this because I know the idea. I've also been known to have some gilded stories handy, in the right company. :)

    Edit: Maybe not the right place, but I'd love to hear more about your hikes and backpack trips in the White Mountains. Sounds beautiful.

  5. #205
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    S.E. Mass.- NY Zone 4F/4o
    Posts
    10,305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by woodwhisperer View Post
    I love his book and have learned from it a good deal but yeah, I do think it's a bit....stretched. Re-reading it just now, and he claims in one day Lanny came out 45 miles from where he started. And "if you can't dog a mountain buck....15 miles in one day, do the same the next day, day after day, week...then maybe just be an armchair hunter."

    Not taking anything away from this venerable late man, because I love him. And I have no issue with statements like this because I know the idea. I've also been known to have some gilded stories handy, in the right company. :)

    Edit: Maybe not the right place, but I'd love to hear more about your hikes and backpack trips in the White Mountains. Sounds beautiful.
    I suspect that their distances were probably more reflective of how many miles they would have to drive to get to point A to point B. It might be a 5 or 10 mile walk across a chunk of land, but 20 or 30 miles driving around it.

    Here is a thread I posted years ago with pictures from a White Mountain backpack my wife and I did. We hiked to Bondcliff, which is smack in the center of the Pemigewasset Wilderness. There are not many places more remote than that.

    http://www.huntingchat.net/forum/sho...ight=Bondcliff
    My people call me "Stands on Logging Roads."

  6. #206
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    NJ.
    Posts
    3,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by woodwhisperer View Post
    ...15 miles in one day, do the same the next day, day after day, week...then maybe just be an armchair hunter."

    l.
    One buck I shot I tracked less than half a mile before I shot him. The most exhausting part was getting him in the back of my F350. lol The tracking was all uphill and the drag all downhill. If you get on a real fresh track headed to bed you may catch up to him pretty quick. I have rarely tracked when there was enough snow to track for miles and miles. Even with 4 inches of snow, when he takes you down into a cedar swamp there will not be enough snow to continue or into an area that you have to crawl thru. This may be more indicative of the area I am hunting though. Small hills and ridges surrounded by swamps instead of "ridge runners". Larry called them "swamp bucks, seldom seen". lol

  7. #207
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    NJ/NY
    Posts
    415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by woodwhisperer View Post
    Huh, funny you say that longbow because I wondered the same thing. Along with....sorry if this is a stupid question .... but from that same section, what the heck is a "leg roll?"

    Yeah, I believe Larry kept in regular shape in his younger years, but 5 miles a day is a serious runner, at least a semi-serious runner, and looking at Larry it just didn't quite fit. Like the Lanny story, I guess, right in essence - I do believe Larry kept up, in order to keep up on long hunts like they do.
    "Leg roll" similar to pork roll but made from the leg area.

    Funny because I remember that part of the book. Lol.

    As for woods distance it's sometimes crazy how far you think you traveled only to flip on your GPS to find out that you are 1.5 miles from where you started. Thinking you covered 5 times that. I am sure some of the mileage from the old books are embellished a bit since that was before GPS units. As Escort said j think it had more to do with how far a ride to pick someone up.

  8. #208
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,305

    Default

    To get to the north side of the Aroostook River from my house is 1/4 mile as the crow flies. 13 miles by vehicle.

  9. #209
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikejd View Post
    "Leg roll" similar to pork roll but made from the leg area.

    Funny because I remember that part of the book. Lol.

    As for woods distance it's sometimes crazy how far you think you traveled only to flip on your GPS to find out that you are 1.5 miles from where you started. Thinking you covered 5 times that. I am sure some of the mileage from the old books are embellished a bit since that was before GPS units. As Escort said j think it had more to do with how far a ride to pick someone up.
    It's funny. I read the book before I ever met the Benoit's. I saw pictures of them in the book. After reading it I thought, "These guys must be 6'+ with 4' strides to cover that much ground." I had a chuckle when I finally met them at the sportsman classic. They are about the same height I am with similar leg length. I think I would have to run through the woods to cover 15 miles in one day.

    I do realize, that they were likely references distances by road.
    Born to hunt, forced to work.

  10. #210
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    NJ/NY
    Posts
    415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JDK View Post
    To get to the north side of the Aroostook River from my house is 1/4 mile as the crow flies. 13 miles by vehicle.
    Exactly. There was a time when I knew of a group of guys that where baiting on there land (illeagal in NY) with literally tractor trailers of apples. Big money guys. This was going on about 20 minutes from where I hunt.
    So I happe. To get gps of the apple pile and one day while I'm at my camp I check the distance. It was about 3 Miles from my place. Long story short they had all the deer. And they killed some serius bucks over those apples. Drive Miles and hiking miles two different things.
    Last edited by Mikejd; 01-12-2017 at 03:39 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •