Dakota 283 Vault & Kennels -
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: Remote setups

I hear ya OldHunter, I suffered calf cramps in highschool and college while playing soccer. One of the most painful things I've experienced. My French teacher would bring me a banana every morning on game days haha. But I know its b/c I didn't drink enough water.

If you want to be in mountain shape, you need to train in the mountains. I do a tough mudder every year. My training most of the summer is running 20-30 miles/week, and 1-2 days a week running lift lines at smuggs, jay, or hardack. I work with a guy that does a couple tough mudders & Spartans a year so I train with him sometimes, usually at hardack. We'll run 6-8 miles on the trails, then finish by doing hill climbs with 80lbs sand bags on our shoulders.

The wife and I can't decide if we'll be back at this years Mount Snow tough mudder, or the one in loudon NH. Mount snow is wicked. 10-12 miles on the ski trails, with 20-25 obstacles. We did mount snow 2 years ago, started at the bottom, went to the top, and back to the bottom, did that 3 times. Base elevation is 2,000', top is 3500'. Do that a few times you'll feel it in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by VTHunter08 View Post
    I hear ya OldHunter, I suffered calf cramps in highschool and college while playing soccer. One of the most painful things I've experienced. My French teacher would bring me a banana every morning on game days haha. But I know its b/c I didn't drink enough water.

If you want to be in mountain shape, you need to train in the mountains. I do a tough mudder every year. My training most of the summer is running 20-30 miles/week, and 1-2 days a week running lift lines at smuggs, jay, or hardack. I work with a guy that does a couple tough mudders & Spartans a year so I train with him sometimes, usually at hardack. We'll run 6-8 miles on the trails, then finish by doing hill climbs with 80lbs sand bags on our shoulders.

The wife and I can't decide if we'll be back at this years Mount Snow tough mudder, or the one in loudon NH. Mount snow is wicked. 10-12 miles on the ski trails, with 20-25 obstacles. We did mount snow 2 years ago, started at the bottom, went to the top, and back to the bottom, did that 3 times. Base elevation is 2,000', top is 3500'. Do that a few times you'll feel it in the morning.
    That's pretty intense training, and another nail in the coffin of the 20-30/day stories!
    My people call me "Stands on Logging Roads."

Quote Originally Posted by Escout711 View Post
    That's pretty intense training, and another nail in the coffin of the 20-30/day stories!
    I agree that's gotta be a stretch. Like stated earlier I'd venture to say that's driving distance to be picked up, not traveled distance.

vtHunter08 you are certainly hardcore. I feel like a slacker by comparison.

I find that walking slowly (as in stillhunting) is much more tiring than walking fast.

Here in SWFL the highest point I climb to is the 2nd floor at Bass Pro Shop. But hunting in fairly steep terrain doesn't seem to bother me.

It also seems that each year by Friday I've hunted myself into hunting shape. Too bad we only hunt for one week.

Quote Originally Posted by OldHunter View Post
    vtHunter08 you are certainly hardcore. I feel like a slacker by comparison.

I find that walking slowly (as in stillhunting) is much more tiring than walking fast.

Here in SWFL the highest point I climb to is the 2nd floor at Bass Pro Shop. But hunting in fairly steep terrain doesn't seem to bother me.

It also seems that each year by Friday I've hunted myself into hunting shape. Too bad we only hunt for one week.
    Where are you hunting for a week?

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Where are you hunting for a week?
    My brother and I hunt in the area around Eustis. Its a long drive for me from south Florida. But soon I plan to shave about 1500 miles off the trip.

How?

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    How?
    I'd say he is moving Northeast.
    Leave my rifle, my fishing pole, my traps, and leave me be.

Yes, I will be moving north, back to my birthplace of Plymouth, Mass. After 11 years of living in SW FL I will welcome the change (my wife hates it here, so that is a contributing factor - to say the least). I'll miss the winters here but will not miss the oppressive heat and humidity that is present the rest of the year. Christmas Day here it reached a high of 88 degrees.