Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Kevin in NH Deer hunting log 2015-2016

Saturday 11/25/17 37 Degrees with no wind. As I was heading in to the Farm stand I went by the Rock Wall stand and paused for a second and almost climbed up....but I kept going and it was the wrong decision. On stand at 06:00 and at 07:55 A deer comes off the farm but is far off. I sit till noon and nothing. I head out and swap 3 sd cards and as I head up the trail a Buck runs across the trail and stops 40 yards ahead just looking at me and its the high racked buck I missed on the Muzzleloader opener and hes just standing there so there has to be a Doe real close so I am looking and looking and all I see is his neck and head then suddenly the Doe bursts out of a blowdown and off they go! I get home and the SD card at the rock wall stand has 3 different buck and 2 Doe. One video shows another 8 go flying by chasing a Doe and 2 minutes later hes back 15 yards from my stand drooling and trying to catch his breath. And just like that they are back....time to get ready

I never made it out again for the rest of the season. My leg from the spine surgery nagged the hell out me all season not to mention I am still shaking my head over missing 2 racked bucks. I have to get in better shape as the heart attack and laid up for 7 weeks in 2016 took its toll. I only have myself to blame for this season so time to STHU and get to it.......2018 is coming......

Well 2018 has started out like 2017 ended with more physical issues. I had checked my 5 cameras late July and had plenty of Doe and fawns and one spike who was on all 5 cameras at all hours of the day walking around aimlessly. In mid August my right hip socket started to bother me and I tried to work it out on the exercise bike....no go so I had a cortazone shot done in the hospital and it worked. Then a week before the 9/15 bow opener I came down with my seemingly annual chest cold and the P.A. didn't believe I needed anything other than Musanex and these "pearls" to help with the cough. I told her this is not the first time and the ten day anti-biotics is the only thing that works.....well it didn't and they called in presizone days later and then the next day they listened and I got the anti-biotics on Wednesday 9/19 so far Thursday was the first night I actually got any sleep in 5 days and now its almost 2am and the cough will not let up so it looks like another long night sitting in my recliner trying to breath slow enough to stop the cough and fall asleep. Sunday is my 64th birthday and the weather is supposed to be good but I know my lungs will not be clear by then...looks like the last weekend in September will be my first sit...HOPEFULLY!

10/20/18 Rock Wall Stand: Saturday my first sit of 2018 and I got to the stand 15 minutes before first light. Temp is 46 degrees with little wind. At 08:40 I hear a deer coming in behind me and its a little 50 pounder who hung around for almost an hour. She was feeding on leaves as there isn't an acorn to be found. I sat until 10am and then swapped out 5 SD cards. Very few deer on the cams.

11/3/18 Farm stand: There is a truck parked where I have parked for the last 20 years. Weather is a little colder 42 degrees and a little after 7 I hear a shot from behind the farm. I hear two more shots from the same side. I sat until 10 and headed out. On the way out I didn't see any drag marks but right where the red truck was parked was a small pool of blood. Must have been a little one since there was no drag marks. I called in a breakfast sandwich at a local place and there is the truck that was parked in "my spot" I look in the back and there is a 50 lb Doe in the back. I pulled two of the SD cards and in two weeks one Doe on one card and zip on the other one. Not looking good this year.

11/9/18 Proven stand: Cold morning sat until 9:30 and swapped out the two SD cards. The one spike is the only deer on it since I swapped out all 5 cards....mot like this at all. We picked up the grandson for the weekend.

11/10/18 Sunday: Rock Wall stand: Got there early 05:30 even with the clocks turned back an hour. Sat until 09:30 and nothing again. Swapped out two SD cards and its not getting any better with sightings. My buddy Rich clipped a big Buck and tracked it and put it up twice not a good hit. The guy he was hunting with went there yesterday Wednesday the 14 and shot it before dark. A beauty of a 10 point who dressed 190!

I am taking off most of next week. Snow is predicted for Friday and tonight I finish getting the snow blower on the Kubota. Guys who have taken Deer say the stomachs are full of grass which is no surprise as for the last 3 weeks I am seeing deer in the fields way before dark.....Heres hoping for a better week ahead!

11/17/18: Saturday, I went to the Farm stand at 05:15 and cut a lot of Deer track on the way in. It took longer than usual to get to the stand with frozen truck tracks on the old road. I got in the stand a little before first light hoping for the best. I heard one shot at 06:55 then 4 spaced shots like ne every couple of minutes??? All shots came from the back of the farm. It wasn't an hour when the mental battle I have been having started...I just don't have the fire that I have had for the last 40 years and is it because of little hunting this season? I sat until 09:30 and got down and swapped out 4 sd cards one that I placed on the other side of a stone wall 40 yards to my left. Three fresh set of running tracks went by the cameras just a few feet out of the view of the camera. I slept in this morning and will check out behind the house.....